RE650 shows connected but no internet on 2.4G

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-16 18:49:35
Model: RE650  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.01 and 1.04

My RE650 has been working fine for several weeks connected to my AX6000 router. Yesterday my daughter unplugged it, when I found it and plugged it back in all lights show connected. 
The 5G extended devices work fine and have internet.  The 2.4G extended devices can't get internet and their ip in tether app is 255.255.255.255. 
Devices connected to 2.4G router have internet.  
I have tried rebooting and factory resetting RE650.  Also upgrading firmware without success. 

Options
6 Reply
Re:RE650 shows connected but no internet on 2.4G
2020-07-20 16:26:31

@Chris7788 

Factory reset the extender again, then manually set the IP address of the RE650 and all the other settings like the picture below:

Options
2020-10-30 01:42:07

@Tony 

Hi Tony,

I hope you are still there at TP Link Support.

I have the exactly the same problem as the original poster. Someone unplugged my RE650 Wifi Extender and then suddenly I wasn't able to connect to 2.4Ghz band on the Extender. I am able to connect on 5Ghz band of the Extender.

When I connect to the 2.4Ghz extender SSID, it does connect but says no internet.

All the devices that previously connected to the 2.4 Extender in the past fails to gain internet, BUT if I try a New device that never has joined the 2.4Ghz Extender SSID, I am able to connect successfully to internet.

I don't know why this is.

Can you explain why I would have to set the IP address of the Extender manually to fix this problem?

Also do I have to manually change the IP address of the RE650 or can I keep it with the same IP address? (I have factory reset the RE650 many times and my Xfinity Arris TG1682G Wireless Router still keeps my 10.0.0.XXX IP address. I tried changing the IP lease time to 2 minutes to force it to change IP address but my Xfinity router doesn't reassign a new IP address)

Yes, DHCP is set to automatic on the Xfinity router. AND mac filtering is turned off on both Bands.

Also when setting the DNS server, I see this from my phone:

2001:558:feed::2

2001:558:feed::1

I know the two with the feed are Ipv6

Do I have to input those or only IPV4 digits 75.75.75.75

75.75.76.76?

Lastly, as I stated before my Xfinity Router does not reassign IP addresses. The same IP address gets used on the router. It has been set to dynamic.

I don't have the ability to force the Xfinity router to renew and reassign the DHCP IP address.

I tried changing the lease time to IPV4 and IPV6 to 2 minutes to force the router to reassign IP addresses but it doesn't work.

Right now, I have the Lease time set to Forever so I can always find the RE650 admin tool page.

If this is the case, would changing the RE650 IP address even worth trying? (I haven't tried it yet) I'm afraid I will lose my only 5Ghz band extender connection.

Please Help.

Thanks

Options
2020-10-30 01:56:59

@Tony 

Also, when you factory reset the RE650 Wifi Extender. Do I have to set the IP address manually BEFORE connecting the WIFI Extender to the Router?

Whenever I factory reset the RE650, from the Web based Admin control page, it seems I HAVE to connect the Extender FIRST before I I am able to change the network settings. Which would defeat the purpose of manually changing the IP address.

Or by changing the IP address of the Extender on the TP Link Admin page, will it force my router to reassign a new IP address. I thought the router decides this?

Please clear this up for me.

Thanks

Options
2020-11-05 19:30:25

@TheSearchfor2.4 

The intent is to have the DHCP server available from the extender as the device may not be getting an IP from the router. Even though you have a router, that same device does not need to also assign DHCP addresses.

To configure the extender in the previous screenshot showed, you would statically assign your computer an IP similar to the default IP of the extender so something like 192.168.0.10, the extender should be 192.168.0.254.

You would then connect your computer to the extender with an Ethernet cable, and make the respective changes. 

I would first factory reset the extender and set up the device with the router to see if both bands will start working. If not, check the firmware in that it is up to date. Reaching out to our support team is another option as the device may be defective.

Options
2020-11-26 04:18:03

@Tony 

I'm having the same problem with no internet connection on 2.4 G. I tried to do the manual settings but I'm not sure what to put in. I actually made matters worse with my attempt and also lost internet connection on 5 G. I did yet another factory reset (something I've been doing all day since I unpacked this) and am back at internet connect on 5 but not 2.4

I'm hoping that if I give some numbers from my router settings you can tell me what to put into the manual settings (or if I need to make any changes to my router settings):

My lan settings (Asus router) shows IP address 192.168.50.1. Subset mask 255.255.255.0

Here is a picture for what my router has under DHCP server. I'm wondering both what to put in the DHCP settings for the extender, and if I need to fill in some of the fields on this page. 

Options
2020-12-03 23:56:46

@rchusid 

The suggestion for having the extender be the DHCP server was for only the extender to be the DHCP server, so the DHCP server on the router would be disabled.

Another thing to try (ignoring the DHCP suggestion) if not done so already is to change the channel on the main router, factory reset the extender, and set it up again so it connects to the new channel. Trying several channels to see if one connects well.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4571

Replies: 6

Related Articles