Powerline not connecting to home wifi (but is connecting to other extender network)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Powerline not connecting to home wifi (but is connecting to other extender network)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-08 12:23:56
Model: TL-PA4010 KIT  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.3

I know enough to be dangerous, but not enough to actually troubleshoot problems.

Our powerline is not seeing or connecting to our wifi (despite one of the adapters being hardwired to the router).  It IS however connecting to another extender network on the other side of the house.  Which gives a very slow connection because of the distance (about 42 mbps)

I've tried unplugging the other extender that the powerline is connecting to to try and force the powerline to see our wifi, but it is still stuck on that extender network and not seeing our main wifi network.

I've tried updating the firmware (although the TP Link Utility app says that the firmware is still 1.3).

Help, please.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Powerline not connecting to home wifi (but is connecting to other extender network)
2020-08-10 20:19:26

@nstoney 

The TL-PA4010 is a wired-only connection, think of it like a glorified Ethernet cable.

So if one adapter is wired to the router, where you place the second adapter will only provide a single Ethernet connection. The TL-PA4010 does not work with the Wi-Fi in any way, it's design is to receive the internet connection from the router, go the first adapter, and then from the Ethernet port of the second adapter.

If the powerline wired to the router shows all three LED lights on, then whatever you connect to the second adapter via Ethernet cable should have an internet connection.

Options