Not Automatically Connecting to Extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-18 00:21:41
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I set up my range extender to use the same SSID as the main router.

If I move from the front of the apartment (where the router is) to the back of the apartment (where the extender is), I stay connected to the weaker router signal, until I turn off WiFi and turn it back on. Then I show that I'm connected to the extender (as per the extender's login page).

I don't notice any real improvement in DL/UL speeds, regardless.

Any advice?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Not Automatically Connecting to Extender
2020-08-19 16:16:37

@Alonzo_Mosley 

Having two network devices named the same does not mean you will have seamless roaming. Neither the extender nor the router will control that, it is entirely up to your wireless device and what it does.

You will need to see if your wireless device has some sort of threshold settings to allow it to move to the stronger signal.

I would recommend you name the extender a different SSID, that way you know exactly what you are connecting to. It will mean you will have to manually switch over, but you will not be experiencing what you mentioned.

Options
2020-08-19 16:22:53

@Tony Interesting. I would have assumed it would be like when you're in a hotel or an office building - you're always getting the "local" signal. I presumed it was on the device side, but wanted to confirm.

Trouble with two names is... The Wife. Telling her to switch networks every time she roams around the place.... Hmmmmm......

Options
2020-08-19 20:35:49

@Alonzo_Mosley 

I now understand the predicament you face in this situation.

What device does she use?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3062

Replies: 3

Related Articles