TL-PA9020P Operating temperature range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-31 17:48:09
Model: TL-PA9020P KIT  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

For reliable operation of powerline adapters consumers need to pay attention to the operating temperature range of the powerline adapter given ambient temperature and air circulation.  Powerline adapters produce a nontrivial amount of heat which is dissipated predominately by lateral convection through the left and right side vent holes and not using a fan.  Although the convection design is meant to move air left to right the adapter when plugged into a US wall outlet is oriented top to bottom constraining any vertical convection air flow.  Keep the ambient below 30C/86F.  I have 5 of these devices around my house which I use for my security cameras which continuously record at 2 frames per second, essentially always moving data although not at the very much higher stream rate of video streaming services.  The devices in all but two locations are reliable.  The devices in my unused bedroom (AC vent reduced) where it gets to be 31.11C/88F and in my garage (no AC vent) where it gets to be 31.67C/89F required once or twice daily power cycling.  For the device in the garage I made a 35mm/1.38in deep air box the length and thickness of the power adapter from cardboard and attached a 12V DC radial cooling fan to it.  The fan used was the type used to cool the extruder head of a 3D printer.  I secured the air box with attached fan to the left side of the powerline adapter device (side opposite button) using clear heavy shipping tape.  This provided a pressure seal to make sure that all incoming air provided by the fan entered the powerline adapter throught the vent holes on the left side.  This fan plus air box brought the exhast temperature of the powerline adapter from 45C/113F to 30C/86F and the device in the garage is now 24x7 reliable.  I'll likely attach a similar cooling solution to the powerline adapter in the unused bedroom.  While I understand the design goals of reliability improvement and cost reduction of not using a cooling fan I am deploying the powerline adapters indoors and not in a directly sunlit location.  An ambient of 32.2C/90F in unused rooms or garages is quite common.  Please consider convention in increased ambient temperature environments (although still indoor habitable) in future designs.

Options
1 Reply
Re:TL-PA9020P Operating temperature range
2020-09-01 21:29:19

@MonroePattillo 

Thank you for your feedback, and detailed information.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 771

Replies: 1