Slower Speeds Using TL-R600VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-31 21:07:55
Model: Archer A2300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Unknown

Hi everyone,

My first post here.    I put my Comcast modem/router into bridge mode and am now using a  TL-R600VPN router.   I've noted consistently slower internet speeds.    I used to get about 90 Mbps.   Now I'm around 65 Mbps.   Thoughts?   I do have a Netgear cable modem that's going to get added to the mix this weekend.

Thanks!  Chris

Options
8 Reply
Re:Slower Speeds Using TL-R600VPN
2020-08-31 21:50:38

Interesting - I went to a computer closer to the router to do a before/after speed test with the modem cable plugged into the TL-R600 then directly in to that computer.   I got 173 Mbps with the TP Link router in the loop.   Didn't re-test with direct cable to modem.

So now I'm puzzled.   The problem did start with the new TL-R600.    I should mention this discussion all involves wired connections.   I'm not concerned about WiFi.

Thanks, Chris

Options
2020-09-01 21:50:35

@Chrisan 

When you were getting 65 Mbps, was that with a longer cable or different then when you went close to the router and got 170 Mbps?

Options
2020-09-01 23:07:52

Hi Tony,

This is very puzzling.   Here are my results roughly speaking:

Desktop in basement - wired connection - close to router - 178 Mbps

Desktop in office - wired connection  - far from router - 65 Mbps

Desktop in office - wired connection - far from router - booted in safe mode - 75 Mbps

Desktop in office - WiFi connection - close to WiFi hotspot - 65 Mbps

iPhone in office - WiFi connection  - close to WiFi hostspot - 120 Mbps

The basement computer is this old clunker.   The office computer is a machine - 8 core 32 Gb ram solid state everything.    LOL

Let me know your thoughts.   This weekend I'm going to move the computers around to see if the problem moves with the computer.   Or not.

Thanks, Chris

Options
2020-09-02 18:43:23

@Chrisan 

Moving the office computer is what I would try as well.

If the office computer ends up being fast in the basement, I would think it might be the Ethernet cable running. If there is a switch that leads to the office, try a different port.

Options
2020-09-02 19:01:48

Thanks Tony.

Going to try all that and more.   There are a couple switches daisy chained to the office computer.   I understand switches aren't usually an issue.   BUT - you never know.   

Will report back.

Thanks, Chris

Options
2020-09-07 16:39:06

OK moved the "slow" office desktop (60-70Mbps in the office) to the basement.

Test 1 - ethernet cable to router - 220 Mbps

Test 2 - ethernet cable to 1st switch (in structured media cabinet) - 220 Mbps

Test 3 - ethernet cable to 2nd, daisy chained switch (also in structured media cabinet) - 220 Mbps

Test 4 - back in the updtairs office - ethernet cable to wall plug - 65 Mbps

So somehow between the second switch and the third switch, in the attic, I'm losing maybe 150 Mbps.    That's like a 100 feet or so of cat5e and another 1Gb switch.

Need to run some more experiments.    I'm starting to wonder if I punched a wire down incorrectly or something.

Chris

Options
2020-09-08 20:38:45

@Chrisan 

Could be just the wall plug (rather than mess with the long cable run)? I would maybe remove the long Ethernet cable from the plug and put it directly to your CPU at the office.

Options
2020-09-08 20:57:13

Hi Tony,

The switch is in a structured media panel in the closet in the office.   So I ran a cable straight from the computer to the switch, bypassing the wall plug.   Still got the slower speed.    The long cable is in the wall terminated in the structuired media pamel.   I'll have to see if I have a female to female connector to complete the run from the switch to the computer.

Thanks, Chris

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2027

Replies: 8