RE230 - One WiFi Name: - does it just happen via setup?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-17 14:59:04
Model: RE220  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Unknown

There isn't a choice for the RE230 in the "Model" drop down for starting a thread so I picked RE220...my question relates to the RE230.

I'm a novice at this, so this is possibly a really dumb question.

One of the features of the device is "One WiFi Name.  No more switching WiFi network names."

I am using this extender with the router provided to me by ATT; it is not a TP-Link router.

I went through the setup of the extender and what resulted is two new WiFi networks.  I was hoping to have that cool sounding "one wifi name" thing happen.  Example:

Name of native / unextended WiFi network that I want to extend:     WiFi

Name of extended 2g network after setting up the 230:   WIFI_2GEXT

Name of extended 5g network after setting up the 230:  WIFI_5GEXT

It appears that to connect to the extended network, I have to, well, connect to the extended network using a different SSID specifically.  

How can I set the device up so that the extended network is just that and not a separate SSID?

I hope that question makes sense.

Options
4 Reply
Re:RE230 - One WiFi Name: - does it just happen via setup?
2020-09-17 17:53:57

@GBRNC 

I think the one Wi-Fi name refers to our OneMesh feature: https://www.tp-link.com/us/onemesh/

You would use our router and an extender that gives an OneMesh network which gives one Wi-Fi name.

You can still change the Wi-Fi name of the extender to be the same name of the router so you get one network name. What will happen is the router nor the extender will control what your devices connect to, it will be up to the device itself.

If you set up the extender through your browser log into your router to see the new IP of the extender and log into it to modify the extended wireless network. If you used Tether, connect to the extender and make the changes. Here is a FAQ that shows how: link

If you start noticing issues of your device having a weak signal even though its near the extender or vice versa or constant network drops I would revert to making the network names different. What happens is the device itself will either stay connected to the router/extender even if the signal is far away or constantly switch back and forth network devices since they are named the same.

Options
2020-09-17 19:19:20

@Tony   Gotcha; thank you.  I didn't realize that when I was looking at the page for the RE230 I was seeing mostly information for a system not the RE230 as you have identified.  Clear now, not to me before I bought the devices but I see it clear as day now.

"Just connect a OneMesh™ range extender to a OneMesh™ router."

Options
2020-09-18 18:12:33

@Tony So am I understanding this correctly, that in order to access the benefit of having a range extender I will have to manually change networks when I enter the area of my apartment where the original signal is weaker and the extended signal is stronger? And that the only possible workaround is to rename the extended network's name but this will likely cause its own set of problems?

Regards,

David

Options
2020-09-18 18:14:28 - last edited 2020-09-18 18:15:14

@flyingace 

What I am saying is everything is possible, and to be aware so you know what would need to be done in case of any issues. If everything is named the same and works fine on a non-mesh network that is perfectly fine, it means your device does what you expect it to.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1191

Replies: 4