WA855RE connects but no internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-19 20:01:16
Model: TL-WA855RE  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 20180314 rel85916

I have a TP-Link TL-R470T+ v6 acting as the main router and DHCP (172.16.0.0/24), and a TL-WR840N v6 acting as the main wireless access point.

I want my WA855RE to connect to the main access point, so I can connect my tv to it via ethernet cable. I'm also configuring it with a hidden SSID (with a different name of the original AP), because I don't want anyone to use this extender other than my TV.

After configuring it, it says that is connected to the AP, but with no internet access. I tried configuring the IP manually, disabling the DHCP server, but no avail.

I don't know whatelse to do.

Options
6 Reply
Re:WA855RE connects but no internet
2020-09-19 21:04:45
In time: I tried to reset the range extender many times. Tried every combination of dynamic and manual IP configuration with dhcp on AUTO, manual and off.
Options
2020-09-21 20:17:43

@chestermanBR 

If you connect your computer to the 840 does the computer indicate there is an internet connection? Or if you take the cable from the 840 to verify internet on that?

Have you tried connecting to the 840 with a visible SSID??

Options
2020-09-21 20:23:30

Hi @Tony 

Yes. I tried both configuration (hidden and visible SSID), and also with the SSID with the same name or a different name from the main AP. Also, connecting through the ethernet cable made no difference.

And yes, connecting directly to 840 I have internet connectivy (both with cable and wifi).

Options
2020-09-21 20:26:22

I have many devices (cellphones, notebooks, desktops, IoT, remote APs...) working fine in this network connecting to the 840, via wifi and also via ethernet cable. 

Options
2020-09-23 20:29:12

@chestermanBR 

What you can possibly do is to configure the TL-WA855RE to be your DHCP server.

Here is how you would log into the extender to configure it: link

You would then configure the extender below:

If you are unsure how to go about configuring the extender I would recommend reaching out to your local support team.

Options
2020-09-23 20:57:50

@Tony 

Hi Tony. Tks again for your time and effort.

I'm a little reticent in putting my DHCP server on one little extender on the edge of the network, when I have perfectly working DHCP server on the main router. Anyway, i'll go to my ranch this weekend (where the problem is happening) and give it a try, at least for testing purposes.

I read in a obscure blog or forum somewhere (i not finding the link right now) that, for some reason unknown to me, this device ONLY operate in the 192.168.x.x network. Have you heard of this? Note that when I'm saying "connects but no internet" is not just my windows network indicator that says that there is no internet, is picture in the status screen in the extender.

When I setup the DHCP server on the extender or set to off and configure a manual IP to my pc, I can ping the extender, but I cannot ping the rest of the network. Also, when i set the extender to obtain an IP automatically, it does not obtains, and go back to the default (192.168.0.254). 

Also, even when I configure the extender with a manual IP in the range of the the main network, and try to enable DHCP. when i get the IP, i don't get the route to reach the internet through the configured gateway, and I can't even ping the gateway.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2412

Replies: 6

Related Articles