Since installing ring cameras, powerline devices stopped working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-24 21:10:52
Model: TL-PA9020P KIT  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1

We use 4 TL-PA9020P's. One as transmitter plugged via ethernet into router, then 3 in various rooms so that our "Roku" boxes can be plugged into them. They all 3 stop working 2-3 times a year but I'm usually able (with 20 or so runs up and down the stairs plugging, unplugging and troubleshooting) to get them up and running. This time not. I've done it all (hard resets, using the program to add a device, using the "press the button" method to no avail). The ONLY thing that's changed in our home is that we had four camera floodlights installed (Ring brand). Could this added "load" be the culprit? (I'm just going to exercise my warranty if I can't get them back up soon, because frankly they have been a bit of trouble, and really require a lot of intuitive grasping at straws to get them fixed when they do go down) But if anyone has a "straw" I will grasp at it! Thank you. 

Options
6 Reply
Re:Since installing ring cameras, powerline devices stopped working
2020-09-25 15:45:24

@hotwired 

I would place two of the powerline adapters in the same room just to see if they are even capable of seeing one another or even all four. If the floodlights are causing enough noise to interrupt the signal you may have to use other plugs then what you originally did.

If you say plugged a couple or all four in the same room, and none can pair then they may have coincidently failed at the same time of the ring install.

Options
2020-09-28 21:06:42

@Tony I absolutely did move ONE of the rings to the same room as the "transmitter" then even to a second room. I have managed to get ONE to connect for a minute, then it kicks off after a minute or two OR when I try to connect a second one via the app. Very strange. I do have a second TP Link product - the AV1300 that has behaved FLAWLESSLY so I will try to send the powerline adaptors back under warranty and just be happy with the AV1300 WiFi extender. 

Options
2020-10-01 09:32:23

@hotwired The strangest thing. We had an all day power and internet outage. When the power came back on (but no internet yet), the powerline adaptors all connected themselves immediately and flawlessly. When the internet came back on overnight, the cameras also came back on (all 5), and powerline adaptors still going strong. We'll see what happens when I plug the ROKU back into them (right now ROKUs are using the WiFi extender or regular WiFi). Any theories on how shutting internet down for a spell would correct the issue? I BELIEVE but can't sWEAR that I already "rebooted" both the modem and router a couple times during all this to no avail. 

Options
2020-10-01 17:36:32

@hotwired 

It might have been related to the router giving an IP that was already taken by another device.

Options
2020-10-02 11:30:50

@hotwired -- after a power and internet interruption due to a storm, all is running perfect. Boxes connected without my intervention even. Tech has a theory that my installation of the cameras (being hardwired into the electrical system) caused a similar "conflict" like if 2 devices had an IP sharing conflict. By interrupting the power, all the devices had a chance to find a "seat" so to speak. 

Options
2020-10-02 22:49:29

@hotwired 

That makes sense.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 995

Replies: 6

Related Articles