Need three operating modes: use smart actions, or scenes, or?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-05 01:37:26
Model: HS103  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.2

I've been reading about smart actions and scenes, and would appreciate guidance on the requirement below:

I have two TP-Link smart plugs, A and B, and need them to operate in three "modes", to be selected using an app (e.g., the Kasa app):

Mode 1:  Switch A OFF

Switch B OFF

Mode 2:  Switch A ON starting at 1:00p, 3:00p, and 5:00p, and stay on for 45 minutes (1:00-1:45p, 3:00-3:45p, 5:00-5:45p).

Switch B OFF

Mode 3:  Switch A ON starting at 1:00p, 3:00p, and 5:00p, and stay on for 45 minutes (1:00-1:45p, 3:00-3:45p, 5:00-5:45p).

Switch B ON starting at 1:05p, 3:05p, and 5:05p, and stay on for 20 minutes (1:05-1:25p, 3:05-3:25p, 5:05-5:25p).

Is this possible with the Kasa app, or is something else needed?  (The above is a simplified example; the real case is similar but has more daily intervals.) 

Thank you.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Need three operating modes: use smart actions, or scenes, or?
2020-10-05 21:45:11

@kasmhe 

Within the Smart Actions set the auto timer for plug A to turn off after 45 minutes, and an auto timer for plug B to turn off after 30 minutes. Then set schedules to have the plugs turn on for those times so when the plugs turn on, the auto timer in the smart actions will turn them off. 

I just tested it with the HS105 which worked fine.

Options
2020-10-06 01:37:23

@kasmhe Thanks, Tony.  Your suggestion helped me understand how to create two Smart Actions to stop the two timers, once they have been turned on, e.g., by a schedule.

But it seems more is needed.  (And I should have explained things better!)

I'd like the app to display a control screen that offers three choices:  Mode 1, Mode 2, and Mode 3. 

Selecting any choice cancels the current choice and starts the new choice.  E.g., if Mode 3 is operating, then selecting Mode 1 cancels Mode 3, and starts Mode 1.

Though I understand how to create a schedule (e.g., Mode 3 needs six schedules), I don't see how to create a "Mode 3 button" that cancels the current mode, and then activates the six schedules needed to start switches A and B at the indicated times.

As I'm just learning the Kasa app, I don't know yet if it can handle this job.  And if not, is there another app that might?

Thanks again.

Options
2020-10-06 17:04:50

@kasmhe 

There is not a dynamic schedule selector, but if the modes run on specific days then scheduling would solve that. You can create scenes to turn one or both devices on/off to reset the auto-off timer. Rather than needing to open the Kasa app to start a scene, you can call the scenes by using your smartphone widgets.

Options
2020-10-06 20:47:27

@kasmhe Thanks, Tony, for the idea of using smartphone widgets to create "mode" buttons.

From what you've related, it seems not pissoble to assign a smartphone widget to a schedule -- because schedules are attached to devices, not to widgets.

Here's more about my requirement:

Switch A controls a central ventilation system.

Switch B controls an air purifier inside the ventilation system.

The need is for a non-tech person (and not a schedule) to be able to select one of three operating modes using a simple interface (e.g., the three-widget idea is great):

Mode 1, when the outside air is good: all OFF (no need for ventilation or air purification, just open windows)

Mode 2, when the outside air is fair:  ventilation only, to run for 45 minutes every two hours, all day

Mode 3: when the outside air is bad: ventilation to run for 45 minutes every two hours, all day,

AND the air purifier to run for 20 minutes (inside of each 45 minute period)

If the Kasa app is unable to do this, is there another app that might do the job? 

Thanks again.

Options
2020-10-07 20:41:05 - last edited 2020-10-12 20:22:47

@kasmhe 

Yes, the app can do that by using the auto-off timer in conjunction with the widgets calling the scenes.

Just like how you said you need to change the mode in real-time you would first set them to the scene that turns both off then select the scene or mode you want.

Options
2020-10-11 04:19:16

@kasmhe I see how a scene can start more than one device. 

And I see how a schedule can control a device.

But I don't see how a scene can be associated with a schedule.

For example, in Modes 1 and 2, switch B must be off, whereas in Mode 3, switch B must follow a schedule.  If I set a schedule for switch B, then that schedule will be active at all times, regardless of which mode is selected.

Or am I missing something?

Options
2020-10-12 20:38:27

@kasmhe 

Correct, the schedule will run regardless and is not associated with a scene.

So you have the option of setting up schedules and letting the auto-off timers take care of shutting them off. Instead of needing six schedules you only need three. And if you don't need the plug on, turn off the respective three schedules for that plug.

If you need one or both to turn off for x amount of time use the scene (widget) or enable the schedule.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 622

Replies: 7