Weak security message

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Weak security message

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Weak security message
Weak security message
2020-10-17 17:57:11
Model: TL-WA860RE  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Recently I've started to get a 'weak security' alert when I connect my iPad to the internet via my network extender but it doesn't appear when I'm closer to my router.  Is this a TP LInk issue or iPad issue?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Weak security message
2020-10-19 21:48:25

@VCBaldwin 

It may be with the recent Apple update in that wireless networks running TKIP are label as not being secured in favor of AES networks.

What you can try to do is to factory reset the wireless extender, then in your router change the 2.4G so that the wireless security is AES only, not TKIP+AES. Then use your web browser to set up the TP-Link range extender again.

Options
2020-10-19 22:13:27

@Tony 

Thank you for the advice.  I will try this and let you know if I have any issues.

Cheers,

Options
2020-10-24 01:07:23

@VCBaldwin I'm not sure your Extender supports AES.    I have TL-WA855RE and do not have a specific option for AES (when choosing WPA2)

Refer to: https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/230806 (no solution, just info). 

Options
2020-10-24 16:57:44 - last edited 2020-10-24 16:59:58

@Mobial I agree with @VCBaldwin since these are creating new networks from your routers WiFi. You can name your SSID's totally separate

from your regular router and use the provided encryption tp-link provides that is from 2018. Tp-Link should provide updates to their firmware ASAP. There are YouTube videos that can show any amateur or script KIDDIE  how to use Aircrack-NG in Kali Linux. Then, while using a G1100 router (basic Fios procided Gateway) it's just a matter of doing math to crack someones provided wifi Pre Shared Key (PSK) with a rainbow table. The normal consumer doesn't know a lot, if anything about wifi security. They just follow your setup steps. Where can I submit a Proof of concept for Bug bounties? Security issues seem to be in many other devices besides your wifi extenders. 

Options
2020-10-30 19:43:46

@Tony I am getting the same message. This should go to to-link. Apple says I should look at to-link for the reason for weak security message 

Options
2020-10-30 20:35:10
This is not an apple issue. It’s a TP-Link firmware issue. I returned the device with weak mixed mode security and bought another extender that allowed me to change my security to at the least wpa2-aes. Your 405 extenders have weak security. They are the single point of entry for any hacker. Where can I submit a bug for bug bounties?
Options
2020-10-30 20:40:56

Thanks  everyone for your very useful advice.  I've invested in longer cables and relocated my router to a more central area in my apartment which has improved the signal and turned off the TP Link extender.  It's at least 5 years old so I'll purchase a newer model if the signal weakens again.

@VCBaldwin 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1084

Replies: 7

Related Articles