Votes

Ethernet (wired) backhaul for OneMesh products

Votes

Ethernet (wired) backhaul for OneMesh products

101 Reply
Re:Ethernet (wired) backhaul for OneMesh products
2023-05-03 14:25:19

@Riley_S   

Any movement on this initiative?  It has been a couple of months since the last update 

Options
2023-05-03 16:06:38

@Dwreck_Herndon,

Regarding OneMesh configurations, it seems that no models have been released with this feature yet. However, we are currently updating our REs and Routers to support EasyMesh, which enables router-router connections to create a mesh network. This update is being rolled out to models through firmware updates. Additionally, we have observed that the ethernet backhaul for EasyMesh networks is already being introduced to Archers.

Options
2023-05-03 17:44:36

@Riley_S 

ok thanks. To be honest I don't know the difference between one mesh and easy mesh. If I can get a mesh network with Ethernet back haul on my archer and re extender combination then please advise how. Thanks. 

Options
2023-05-03 19:32:37

@Riley_S 

My setup changed a little. My main router is now an opnsense Box. I wonder if i can still use one/easy mesh with this setup?

So opnsense is the main router 192.168.0.1

AX5400 is used as an access point 192.168.0.9

RE550 is another access point 192.168.0.10

So the AX5400 and RE550 are using the internet via the opnsense box.

Can i configure both as access points/repeater with mesh and still let opnsense do it's firewall job as the main router, or does the AX5400 need to be set to Router Mode.

Which, i think, would be an headache to setup because i then probably have to use two internal networks. One for the connection from the router/repeater to the opnsense box and one for the wireless clients.

thx

Options
2023-05-03 21:26:15

@Virus2500,

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the features and requirements of opnsense, so there may be ways to configure the connection using Static Routes or a VPN Passthroughs; but I am not sure.

In general, OneMesh and EasyMesh work relatively the same. OneMesh is simply TP-Link's mesh feature that has been out a few years, while EasyMesh can be used with compatible EasyMesh devices from other manufactures, and is only just starting to gain traction. You can see more about the differences between the two and how the feature can be used in this article.this article.

For an EasyMesh network to be created, the devices have to be in router mode and the main router must support EasyMesh. It is also worth mentioning that the ethernet backhaul is not a given when seeing EasyMesh compatibility. This functionality is still being developed and has only rolled out to some of the newest REs and some Routers. The patch notes for firmware updates will indicate specifically if the wired backhaul feature has been implemented.

Options
2023-05-03 21:44:32

@Riley_S 

Got it (i think). Thanks for your answer.

So it is currently "only" planned. So i'll have to wait and see if it makes it to my devices. 

But to utilize it at all opnsense must support easymesh since it is going to be the main router doing the "onboarding" of the easymesh devices.

Options
2023-05-03 22:03:22

@Virus2500,

And yes the main router must support EasyMesh. You may be able to find other users who have found ways of adding EasyMesh to an opnsense device as it is meant to work with any manufacturer. I am just not sure how well supported EasyMesh is at an OpenSource level or if it is reserved for manufacturers to implement.

Not so much as Planned, as it is being Actively Developed and Rolled Out to Models that they can develop the feature for. 

I am sure that as an industry-wide protocol, there are requirements that must be met to guarantee stability and security, so it will most likely not make it to each and every model. Unfortunately, we don't have a list of models that they are planning on developing the feature for; however, the rollout is only just starting. Your best bet is to watch the patch notes for new firmware as it will show something similar to this:

b3a27c37e6f742e5a0ca14633088d586

Options
2023-05-03 22:14:26

@Riley_S Thanks again. Yeah in my mind it would probably work if i just separate the networks. 

So use the AX5400 as an router with it's WAN Port set to my Lan (192.168.0.0/24) and use an separate network (like 192.168.1.0/24) for wireless clients. 

A few static routes here and there and it should work.

My preferred solution would be to have the AX5400 as an repeater but still be the main EasyMesh device so it onboards all the others. But i guess i have an 1% use case here so.... :)

Btw. do you have an "direct" path to the devs? 

Maybe you could tell them to fix the hidden DNS Settings in "Access Point Mode" with static IP for the AX5400?

891cc3e1c1624e499103997f4c076d32

The settings are there.... just hidden and disabled. Thanks to chrome devtools i can still set them... it's just not very...nice

Options
2023-05-03 22:37:57

@Virus2500,

I can forward your request to our team to potentially add it as an advanced configuration option; but I do not believe this is a bug, and is moreso the intended design.

Changing the DNS setting of an AP has been rarely used at a consumer level, and is, unfortunately, more likely to cause problems for the majority of users. Before, this was never really a problem, but we are only now beginning to see extra network hardware that operates on your local network and requires settings such as this to be changed. Given how many of these devices and services we are seeing, it may be considered for future updates.

Options
2023-05-03 22:43:06

@Riley_S Thanks. Well there is one major problem, and why i consider this a bug, with not being able to set the DNS Servers (thats why i tinkered around to fix it with the chrome dev tools): You can't check/update the firmware (without downloading the firmware manually) because it can't resolve the IP of the firmware update server without any DNS being set. That and the RE550 doesn't hide the setting... so why should the AX5400 :)

Options

Voters 56

+ 52 Voters