AC1750 Weak Security

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AC1750 Weak Security

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
AC1750 Weak Security
AC1750 Weak Security
2020-10-23 12:11:47
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi - I recently purchased AC1750 range extender.

I am getting "weak security" message when I connect to it on IOS devices.

From the configuration, the only option I can select is WPA2-PSK (which I assume means TKIP?).

Does this mean my connection is not secure as it should be, and if so will there be a new firmware?

Also, the other bit I'm not really understanding is that my router appears to be set to use WPA2-AES, so I'm not clear how the range extender is even connecting to the router it can't use AES?

Options
3 Reply
Re:AC1750 Weak Security
2020-10-23 18:49:52

@Javert 

Check the router in that is it not using WPA2-TKIP+AES, but only AES. Default the extender, and set up the extender through the web browser. If you are still seeing the not secured message, follow up with our support team.

Options
2020-10-24 01:08:51

@Javert I don't think your device supports AES. I'm pretty sure mine does not, and I've gone through configurations and made sure I have the latest firmware. (TL-WA855RE is what I have).

See: https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/230806 (no solution, just more info).

Options
2020-10-24 10:12:31 - last edited 2020-10-24 10:16:38

@Javert 

Well the router is set to AES only.  

The router is an Asus and it has options:

Authentication method

WPA Encryption.

The authentication method is set to "WPA2-Personal".

The WPA encryption method is set to AES, which is the only option.

If I changed the authentication method to "WPA2-Auto", I then have the option to select "TKIP+AES" as the entryption method,  but I have not done that.

However, I still get the warning "weak security" on IO devices if I conect to the range extender network name.

Unless the router is not working as advertised, I guess the range extender must be communicating with the router with AES, but my IOS device seems to believe that the connection from the extender to the device is using TKIP.  

I will try to reset it to factory settings and set it up again through web browser, but this is I think what I already did the first time around.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3341

Replies: 3

Related Articles