Searching for solution to extend home network outdoors

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-02 19:15:28
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version:

We currently have a 3-unit Deco M5 system covering the house and need to reach a chicken coop about 200' from the house and a tennis court about 300' away. Our closest M5 unit is near a window in the kitchen with line of sight to these areas, but the signal is not strong enough for the video camera in the coop, or to stream music to the tennis court. We have a gazebo, roughly in between these areas, where I'd like to put an extender. From what I have read in the forum, it looks like either an EAP110 or EAP225 could resolve the signal issue. The diagram below shows the rough distances.

1) Is an EAP the right solution?

2) Does the EAP connect directly to the Deco?

3) Do I need to run ethernet, or just electrical?

Thanks

Options
7 Reply
Re:Searching for solution to extend home network outdoors
2020-11-03 22:00:47

@Mike_P 

1. EAP225-Outdoor should do the job.

2. Yes, you would have an Ethernet cable connected to any of the Deco ports of the main Deco or one of the satellites. 

3. You would run just an Ethernet cable, as that will also carry the power to the EAP by utilizing the Passive POE adapter:

Options
2020-11-03 22:10:22

@Tony So this means some work running new conduit.

Once I have the EAP connected, will I be able to maintain it through the Deco app and still have parental controls? Reading a bit more about it, seems as thought it acts like an access point with a different connection point. Also can't find how to add it into my Deco app.

Thanks

Options
2020-11-06 19:06:50

@Mike_P 

It does not work in the Deco app, there is a mobile app where you can configure it (Page 98): https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202007/20200706/1910012768-EAP%20Series_UG.pdf

The client devices connecting through the EAP will be seen by the Deco app since that is the controlling router so parental controls should still apply.

Options
2020-11-06 20:09:47

@Tony thanks for the clarification.

As an alternative, would the Deco M3W be a possible solution. Seems like a better fit for the network and it would eliminate having to run new ethernet conduit to the gazebo. Will the M3w signal be able to reach the M5 in the house (100') and devices in the chicken coop (100') and tennis court (<200')? The gazebo is fully covered and I can enclose the unit in a weatherproof electrical box, but it will be exposed to summer and winter exterior temps.

Options
2020-11-06 23:17:50

@Mike_P 

It is capable of providing up to 1500 sq ft of coverage so that can possibly work as well as an alternative. I am not sure about the 5G reaching, but the 2.4G may possibly work.

If you do go that route I'd make sure where ever you get it, is returnable just in case the application fails.

Options
2021-01-23 18:25:36
Would this EAP use the same SSID as the main Deco network or does it require a unique identifier for devices to connect to?
Options
2021-01-27 00:11:39

@Budman 

For the network name, you can have both options. I would make them different so I know which network I am connecting to, but you can make them the same so there is one network you only need to connect to. It would then come down to how your device chooses what devices to connect to.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 522

Replies: 7