Smart Actions - No longer smart or actioning

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-25 20:23:14

I have two smart actions configured in my account/app.

These have been working for at least a year.

Both are smart switches (HS200) triggering smart plugs (HS110).

They stopped working recently. Don't know exactly when.

The switches and the plugs can be seperately controlled. 

To experiment, I added a 3rd smart action with unrelated devices. No luck. Then deleted and re-created the existing smart actions. No luck.

Then I tried doing the same with IFTTT, but as it turns out, Kasa is not listed as a trigger service ("if" category), but only an action ("then this").

So basically, it's broken.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Smart Actions - No longer smart or actioning
2020-11-25 21:17:10

@teshreve2 just confirming that my smart actions are no longer working also. Was on a support chat but got nowhere.

I added Kasa to smartthings app and at first it's able to trigger automation from there, but it is at best random as if the kasa device status services are not updating correctly/consistently.

Same for alexa. It is randomly not able to trigger devices.

Options
2020-11-25 22:33:04 - last edited 2020-11-25 22:36:50

When I explain the depth and breadth and integration of my smart things, most people are either perplexed by it and think it is voodoo, but those who get it ask questions like, "what if the company goes out of business?", or "what if they end this service", or "what if they get hacked", etc.

And I always laughed and said, sure, craaaaazy things like that miiiiiiight happen soooooomeday.

Haha, well, this is a nice, low drama warning. Time to re-think my approach.

At the very least this is a confirmation that tp-link doesn't feel this service is very important. And that is a problem for me.

Options
2020-11-26 14:45:17 - last edited 2020-11-26 14:47:53

@teshreve2 I did all possible things to understand what was happening, factory reset the HS130, reinstall App, and so, and nothing. On Smathings was working fine.

I emailed the support last night and they quickly answered, quoting:

" Thank you for reaching out. Amazon AWS cloud infrastructure is facing an outage at the moment. As a result, our customers are not able to use the services including video recording and smart actions, etc.

We are working closely with the Amazon team to resolve this issue.

You can still use some basic features like watching liveview of cameras, manage Kasa devices through the Kasa app, etc. We will keep you posted.

You can monitor the status of the service at https://status.aws.amazon.com/.

Note: Due to the outage of Amazon AWS cloud infrastructure, the camera clip videos recorded during this period won't be uploaded to the cloud server. "

Is is back now, so the problem was in the cloud. It you go the the link above you can see the report ( at leas today).

"[RESOLVED] Increased Error Rates in US-EAST-1

4:00 AM PST: We have restored all traffic to Kinesis Data Streams via all endpoints, and have resolved the error rates invoking CloudWatch APIs. All services are now operating normally. We have identified the root cause of the Kinesis Data Streams event, and have completed immediate actions to prevent recurrence."

I must say it was a awesome support, answered my main question with a quick response on a Thanksgining Eve.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 672

Replies: 3