Votes

Configure multiple WISP providers for WISP capable routers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-12 14:52:15
Model: TL-WR841N_EU  
Hardware Version: V14
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I would like to suggest a new feature for WISP capable routers. The use case scenario in my case: we are living in a rural area where only 4G LTE based internet connections are available. I have an unlimited speed/data account in my phone, so I have bought a TL-WR841N (V.14) to share the net across my wired and wireless devices in the house. The router works in WISP mode and uses my phone's hotspot as ISP. With the latest firmware the TL-WR841N works great: after I arrive at home it quickly connects to my phone and everything have a net access.

My proposal: it would be great if I could configure multiple WISP providers (aka multiple WISP SSIDs and the according passwords) with a prioritization possibility.

For example: my phone can be a prio 1 provider,  my wife's/child's phone is a prio 2, a locally installed 4g modem with cheep and limited bandwidth account is a prio 3 (still good enough for home control, IOT...). The router could check cyclically the known and available providers, and switch automatically if a higher priority provider arrives.

I think it can be a great feature for your travel routers also ( for example: on the move, if a known hotel WIFI hotspot available then use it, or use the phone's net in other case, etc...)

Options
1 Reply
Re:Configure multiple WISP providers for WISP capable routers
2020-12-14 18:34:09

@drinyo 

Thank you for the feature suggestion. I will forward this to our devs for consideration.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 515

Replies: 1

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.