I've recently purchased the AX50 because it was advertised as the router with the most elaborate Parental Control. As a father of 2 teens, I'm struggling to keep their internet usage under control. I am, however, a bit underwhelmed by the functionality I get from the router.
So here is my wishlist for Parenal Controls.
- Good: include a schedule blocking/allowing on/offline time for each day of the week (on Wednesdays in Belgium schools are only in session AM)
- Better: allow for specific black/whitelisting on certain moments (I want my kids to have internet access on home-work hours, but I don't want them on YouYube, NetFlix, ...)
- Best: Allow for these blocks to be manually lifted/enforced via simple UI
- Good: have an option to turn these off/on entirely (this is a matter of trust and privacy)
- Better: Only have insights for certain site (e.g. I'm just interested in NetFlix usage)
- Best: Combine limited Insights with timetables (during homework time I'm only interested in your internet usage on YouTube)
- Good: White/Blacklist certain sites/apps from counting as internet usage (many apps will constantly ping for internet time)
- Better: Only have Time limits on given apps (e.g. 1 hour of facebook)
- Best: Combine the last option with scheuding (e.g. only 1 hour of facebook during your 2 hour internet time)