Range extender keeps changing MAC addresses

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-04 16:01:03

I have 4 tally lights that use wifi to operate. Each one has its own IP address, which is how they are controlled. I have a Medialink AC1200 router that has the ability to permanently set each tally's IP address based on MAC address. I need to do this so I can access the tally each time it is used. The tally lights were changing the IP address each use. This is why I set the IP address for each to static (supposedly never changes).

I tried today to use them again, but they still had different IP addresses. I went in to the router settings and there were new MAC addresses for two of them. For the new IP addresses there were also new MAC addresses for them. The other two were still as set before (same IP and same MAC as before).

I assume that the RE230 is changing the MAC addresses. Does anybody know how to control the MAC addresses so they are the same each time the tally lights are used?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Range extender keeps changing MAC addresses
2021-01-04 19:01:03

@Mr.Paul 

If your tally lights work off of IP, statically assign each of them an IP on each device, remove any address reservation. That way it will always have the static IP address configured locally. Trying to use the address reservation along with the RE spoofing the MAC will work if reflecting the new spoofed MAC address but if it changes you will need to update the MAC address again.

Options
2021-01-04 19:42:18
I'm not sure I understand the response. Is there a setting or something I need to change on the RE230? It is not feasible to change the MAC address on all these each time I use them.
Options
2021-01-06 23:15:14

@Mr.Paul 

Assign an IP address on the devices themselves. The RE230 will continue to change the MAC address so reserving an IP based on the MAC will cause problems.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1538

Replies: 3