Setting up a small network using powerline

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-10 09:43:58 - last edited 2021-01-10 10:56:12
Model: TL-WPA8630P KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello Folks,

Have some queries I need help with.

I am working to setup a network in a small home/flat converted to office. We do not have Ethernet cabling in the rented property and the WiFi setup is not preferred because of huge number of WiFi networks showing up in the vicinity. Also, I am trying to minimize costs.

Query 1: The plan is to use WPA8630P and 3x PA8010P for three network points. WPA8630P near the router with three LAN cables going into it and connect the 3x PA8010P at different plug points to draw out Ethernet points. Will this setup work?

(Have assumed one-to-one mapping of ports from 8630 to 8010 -- is this assumption on working setup correct?)

Query 2: Also, I plan to use PA7020P on the same flat for two other network points. So the 7xxx and the 8xxx power line adaptors will be running in the same property's power line but not connected to each other. Will there be any interference between the network setups?

Highly appreciate your inputs, guidance and advice. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

K

Options
2 Reply
Re:Setting up a small network using powerline
2021-01-12 00:15:59

@SO-Net-2020 

Query 1: You do not connect an Ethernet cable from one powerline to another powerline, they communicate using the electrical outlet. So you would have one TL-PA8010P connected near the router, and an Ethernet cable from the router to the adapter. Then you would place the two remaining 8010s and 8630P where you want them, assuming they will be able to see each other via the electrical wiring. 

Query 2: You can add the 7020s to your network so the PA8010 wired to the router will provide internet to every other powerline node. 

Options
Re:Setting up a small network using powerline
2021-01-18 23:47:55

@SO-Net-2020 "WPA8630P near the router with three LAN cables going into it"

Actually that model has 3 lan ports in it so that when it is the one in the other room from the router then you can plug in 3 computers. Plugging 3 cables from the router won't do any good at all. It will probably confuse it, actually.

So use a network cable from the router to one of the units with only one port. Then use the 3-port model in another room where you might need more than one computer or device (TV, etc).

As for seperating the networks this is best done with network settings if you need to enforce security. Powerline units try to all sync with each other and it is hard to keep them from doing that.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 505

Replies: 2

Related Articles