SSID Configuration Question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-25 15:11:27
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello - I recently installed a new Xfinity router that has some built-in "smarts" to determine which frequency band (2.4 GHz/5 GHz) to use and Xfinity recommends using a single SSID configuration to faciliate that. Prior, I had two separate SSIDs, one for 2.4 and one for 5.

I am using two RE450 range extenders in the house (one new and one from a few years ago). 

Question: For the RE450 configurations, is it best to use the same SSIDs for both frequencies as well? It appears to be working but just wanted to know what the optimal configuration is...

Thanks, greg.

Options
1 Reply
Re:SSID Configuration Question
2021-01-26 17:17:14

@gdavoll 

For myself, I make the network names different. The main reason is I know exactly what I am connecting to, and I don't want my device to move back and forth on bands to interrupt anything. Another reason is that if it is named the same as the main router I would not know if I am really connecting to the extender or the main router. It does mean I'll need to manually switch over, but can save headaches. 

Other users have made all the names the same and it worked fine because the device will dictate where to connect to.

So there is no right to wrong, mainly what you want.

I am assuming the Xfinity has a feature similar to our smart connect where it does that for you which is convenient. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 400

Replies: 1

Related Articles