Pwerline not allowing web access

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-28 13:26:37
Model: TL-PA4010 KIT  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi Everyone.  for some reason the post i had up has disappeared, i am unsure why.

I am having trouble with my powerline system. i previously had this specific setup working with an older adapter set, but one of them must have broken while we were decorating so i got some new ones. 

when first installed, they worked fine but then stopped working.  oddly they allow some traffic through.  i installed the utility, for the good it did me, and it said that the network had good speed, and that there were no issues.  i can also ping and trace to other locations on the network (both wired and wireless).  the (virgin media) router is detecting my PC upstairs as being connected via ethernet (over powerline).  

i can ping, and ping from, the PC that is powerline connected, and that machine can ping and TR outside the home network (test locations abroad etc all work fine).  but no web access is granted using any browser. everything works fine if i am connected via WiFi from upstairs (i want powerline as the wifi can be flaky sometimes) but as soon as the ethernet adapter is enabled/plugged in, i completely lose connection (although i can still ping/TR outside the network).  i cannot access the routers utility if the ethernet/powerline is connected (connects via browser).  everything works fine if the PC is connected directly to the router without powerline (i moved it downstairs to check).

oddly, if only the wifi is on, and i start a MS Teams meeting, then enable the powerlien connection, the video quality gets better, and continues to work if the wifi is disabled.  however, if i then stop the meeting and attempt to restart, it says i have no connection (but can still ping/TR the other person).

any ideas, im a little stumped.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Pwerline not allowing web access
2021-01-28 22:24:18

@capt_squidpants 

Your post is located here: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/249630

You originally went to our global forums (which is fine), and now you came to the US forum so you won't find it here.

Options
2021-02-01 13:49:52
Hi @Tony that explains a lot, i am unsure how i got to different areas. unfortunately noone appears to be able to help me with this problem. i can ping and trace still but nothing else.
Options
2021-02-01 18:36:28

@capt_squidpants 

I looked through the thread.

The odd thing is the powerline adapters are just a glorified Ethernet cable, they don't do anything special. 

With your computer that you are using, are you able to literally take that to the router the powerline connects to. Steal the cable from the powerline and plug that into your computer and see if you can replicate the same thing?

I'm thinking it might be something on the computer, but this test will help verify if it stays with the computer or is something with the powerline adapters.

Options
2021-02-01 18:46:05

@Tony 

Yeah I tried that.  Works absolutely fine linked directly to the router, and no other machine works though the powerline.  I've tested with different cables as well.

All I get when I try to browse is that the connection has been reset.  Ethernet will maintain an active video link, and will allow ping and TR without issue. Tp link app and the router both say the connection is good.

J

Options
2021-02-02 23:50:18

@capt_squidpants 

If you have not done so you can try paring both powerline adapters to see if that may help, but I would recommend reaching out to your local support team to see what they may find.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 459

Replies: 5

Related Articles