Address reservation causes issues with DHCP server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-28 19:03:25 - last edited 2021-01-28 20:56:58
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.2.4 Build 20190403 rel.63869(5553)

I'm trying to set up a static ip for a printer, but whenever I enable its address reservation entry:

new clients can't obtain an ip address when they connect to the network. When I disable the entry:

new clients are able to connect again without any issues.

Update: Even with the entry disabled, DHCP stops working after some time passes. The only way to get it working again is to delete the address reservation entry.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Address reservation causes issues with DHCP server
2021-01-29 16:51:46

@jvkolyad 

I believe the default DHCP pool for the router is 192.168.0.100~199. Make an address reservation under or over that range.

Also if you are doing an address reservation for the printer, make sure the printer itself is set for DHCP and not static for its own network configuration.

Options
2021-02-17 19:58:43 - last edited 2021-02-17 20:00:05

@Tony Just got a chance to try it out again today, but I'm having the same issue even when I use an address below or above the address pool (I tried 192.168.0.210 and 192.168.0.90). Both anyone who connects and anyone connected for longer than 2 hours isn't able to obtain an ip address automatically. I've tried restarting the router multiple times, but it didn't change anything.

Options
2021-02-17 21:56:47

@Tony I tried 192.168.0.11 and it worked, but I have no clue why

Options
2021-10-06 16:31:09

Has there been any progress on this issue? I am having the same problem. As soon as I add an entry to the DHCP address reservation list, the DHCP server becomes unusable and clients on the network are not able to obtain an IP address.

One thing to note... this only started happening when I disabled the WLAN on the router. Previously, when the wireless network was enabled, IP reservations worked fine. I recently set up a separate wireless access point and disabled the wireless radio on the router. After I did that the DHCP server on the router stopped worked. I had to reset the router to get it to work again. As soon as I added the IP reservations back in, it stopped working.

And, yes, the DHCP server on the AP is disabled. The DHCP server on the router is the only one active on the network.

Options
2021-10-06 17:22:12

Just following up. I found a workaround from this thread: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/85863

The issue seems to happen when you have special characters (including spaces) in the description field of the IP reservation entry. If you avoid special characters it seems to work again. This is why it stopped working when I added the access point.. I created a reservation for the AP and the description had a space in it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 2139

Replies: 5