Will a repeater / extender work with my set up?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-29 20:04:33
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have installed a number of AV600 powerline adapters in rooms that struggle to receive my router's WiFi signal and these seem to work very successfully, however in one of these rooms my son needs to use a chrome book that doesn't have an Ethernet port so can't make use of a powerline adapter...can I plug in some sort of WiFi adapter that can take the router's strong signal from the powerline network via the socket and rebroadcast it as wifi to the chrome book as opposed to try and receive a weak wifi signal from the router and attempt to boost it? If so which WiFi adapter would be compatible?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Will a repeater / extender work with my set up?
2021-01-31 22:27:14

@Petegee Hello.

An access point connected by Ethernet to your powerline plugs could help I feel.

Maybe something like a TPLink TL-WA901N 450Mbps Wireless N Access Point might help you.

- this device can work as a WiFi access point or as a range extender, but I think that you need an access point.

I have not looked at the price though.

I hope that this helps.

KInd regards,

Tony

Options
2021-01-31 22:42:49

@Tonygibbs16 @Petegee 

In the UK the TL-WA901N is £25 on Amazon.

Kind regards,

Tony

Options
2021-01-31 23:29:50
Thanks Toby but that sounds like I need two different bits of kit 1st a powerline plug to plug into the mains and then also this TL-WA901N (which presumably also needs to be powered by the mains) connected to the powerline plug via an Ethernet cable? I was hoping there could be a one device solution ie an equivalent powerline plug that emitted its internet via WiFi rather than Ethernet port? I have plugged a spare powerline plug into an old sky WiFi booster via Ethernet on our landing in an attempt for the booster to receive a stronger signal to boost but he’s still having signal issues in his room as am I upstairs in my study. I Have now moved the powerline plug upstairs to connect my laptop and have moved the sky booster into my sons room but not convinced it’s able to receive a strong enough signal to boost but will have to wait and see during home schooling this week... If this set up isn’t any better and a one device solution to use the existing powerline network isn’t technically possible I wonder how better tp WiFi repeaters / extenders are compared to the sky one I have - any thoughts or recommendations for a compatible tp extender to match my AV600 set up? Also someone else said you can get usb/Ethernet converters - any experience? Many thanks again Pete
Options
2021-02-01 19:22:16

@Petegee 

I think @Tonygibbs16 is right with the AP recommendation.

The TL-WA901N only needs to be plugged into an electrical outlet, it does not rely on your powerline network.  

So you have two ways to go about this in getting Wi-Fi where the chrome book is:

1. If there is a powerline plugin in the Chromebook room, connect an Ethernet cable from the powerline adapter to the TL-WA901N, then Wi-Fi will broadcast from the 901N.

In this FAQ, replace the "router" with the powerline plug to get an idea of how the setup would look: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1603/

2. Configure the 901N as a range extender, where it is not connected to any powerline adapter, but connects to your router using Wi-Fi, and pushes the signal to the Chromebook room. You would typically have the 901N at the "halfway" point between the room and the router.

In this FAQ, this is how the setup would look, it does not even involve your current powerline adapters: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1604/

Options
2021-02-01 20:03:06
Thanks Tony - so do I conclude there’s no single device that tp make that performs the same function as option 1 ie a WiFi emitting ‘plug’ that takes the source of internet signal from the mains (as part of my powerline network) and emits it as WiFi? Ie To make use of the stronger and more stable powerline network I need both a powerline plug connected by Ethernet to a WiFi extender such as the 901N...? This will prove tricky due to space / location / number of available sockets... Re option 2 - fundamentally what would be the difference between using the 901N as opposed to TP-Link N300 Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender, Broadband/Wi-Fi Extender, Wi-Fi Booster, Plug and Play, WPS, UK Plug (TL-WA854RE)....I have an existing sky WiFi booster in the room but it’s struggling to secure a strong enough signal from the router - but it is pretty old and wondering if the tpN300 would be a much better replacement? Any further thoughts? Many thanks...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 844

Replies: 5

Related Articles