Mac addresses in alert listing do not match device mac address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-30 21:42:44
Model: Archer A2300  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.0

I have been trying to trace a reported attempted intrusion in the alert history and assumed that the mac address would identify the device attempting to contact a blocked site. Turns out none of the wireless mac addresses match any of my devices. Some devices where names are displayed, dougs-ipad for example, but the mac address for this device doesn't match dougs-ipad. Some entries have the device named the same as the mac address bit i assume these are ficticious also.

I also note that the mac addresses you display on the device details do not match what the device advertises as its mac address.

Why is this? How am i supposed to trace a problem with phoney mac addresses?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Mac addresses in alert listing do not match device mac address
2021-02-01 22:19:27

@DougMar 

If you have a range extender, those may change the MAC address, and also with the new iOS 14 update it allows a device to change their MAC address: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 659

Replies: 1