Can multiple extenders repeat signal from one to another?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-09 15:12:53
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi

If someone knows the answer.  I just purchased 2 RE450 extenders as I was told that I could install 2:  1 wirelessly connected to the modem and the 2nd extender would connect to the first extender, like a chain to extend the signal further out... I read the instructions and all I can see is that each extender connects directly to the modem (which defeats the purpose of having 2 for me)  Can someone clairy?  Thanks

Options
1 Reply
Re:Can multiple extenders repeat signal from one to another?
2021-02-09 19:36:51

@Morino 

Yes, you can have that setup. You will get the coverage, but expect to see slow speeds when connecting to the extender further out because of how data is handed from one extender to another.

I would factory default both extenders, then use Tether to set up the first one to the router, and set the network names to be different. When that is done, set up the second extender using the Tether app as well.

Here is a FAQ showing how to use our Tether app: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1971/

Having all names being the same makes it hard to know what device is connecting to what and can cause devices to keep jumping to different nodes.

I would have something like:

Router:

mywifi

mywifi-5G

Extender 1:

mywifi-ext

mywifi-5G-ext

Extender 2:

mywifi-ext2

mywifi-5G-ext2

Options

Information