TP-link ac1750 seems to have the same network name as router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-09 18:40:31
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: RE450(EU)_V3_181204

I could not set this up via the Tether app or web browser. I see 2 of the extender's network name "TP-Link_Extender_2.4GHz" and "TP-Link_Extender_5GHz" but my phone and laptop failed to connect to the internet.  

So i tried the WPS and it seemed to work because all LEDs lit up. However, both the extender's network names disappeared from my phone and laptop's Wi-Fi list. I didn't know if i was connected or not. Google said that my extender probably shares the same network name as my router. Confusing because the salesman said it should be a different network name. Google also said that using the same network name might cause my extender's connection to slow down. Any tips?

Options
1 Reply
Re:TP-link ac1750 seems to have the same network name as router
2021-02-10 17:36:11

@Lvrn 

When doing WPS the extender will copy both network names onto itself along with the wireless password to secure it.

If you look at the extender all three LED lights should be blue indicating it is configured.

What you can do then to change the wireless network names of the extender is to connect your smartphone to your wireless network, then open Tether. Tether should then find the RE450 and you will see it listed, tap on it to log into it and from there you can edit the extended network name.

Here is a FAQ that shows where to edit the network name: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2540/

Having the same name may cause your devices confusion in that they may connect to your router when near the extender. It really is up to the device itself to determine where to connect to, but it is best to have the names different so you know exactly what network you are connecting to.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 813

Replies: 1