Wifi extender constantly disconnecting?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-11 06:31:30 - last edited 2021-02-11 06:33:15
Model: TL-WA850RE  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: TL-WA850RE(US)_V4_180409

Hey guys, sorry if I wrote the firmware version wrong or something this is my first hopefully last thread here.

I've had this TL-WA850RE V4 wifi extender for like years now and it has always worked perfectly fine, right up until two days ago, when a technician came to install a new modem for me since I had upgraded my bandwidth to 120MBps. He installed an all in one modem/router thing, it's a Sagemcom F@st 3895, with 2.4G and 5G wifi networks.

Since my extender is 2.4G I only had one option so I guess I don't need to go further on that. It's using wifi instead of an ethernet cable to connect to the router. Ever since I reset the extender to connect to the new router, it continuously turns off and on again at random. Sometimes it lasts 10 minutes fine, sometimes an hour, sometimes it goes oflline in a minute then comes back the next, then goes offline again. It's completely random. I am very annoyed by this.

Whenever this happens the extender's wifi network goes offline and all connected devices lose internet connection, but after a bit (Ranging from a few seconds to a minute or two) it comes back. During the period it's out the LED goes completely off as well.

I tried resetting it multiple times, changing it's network name, upgrading the firmware, but none of that did anything and the problem persists. The extender is in direct line of sight to the router and has max connectivity. I read somewhere that maybe I could try changing the channel or something of the sort in the main router but I would rather not try that unless I absolutely had to. Does someone have any input on this?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Wifi extender constantly disconnecting?
2021-02-11 23:04:58

@Atri 

If all the LED lights on the extender are turning off then it sounds like the device may be losing power.

I would move it to a different outlet to see if the issue still happens.

I would also reach out to the router manufacturers and inform them if they have any recommended settings in the router that pertains to an extender since the variable that changed was the router.

Options
Re:Wifi extender constantly disconnecting?
2021-02-12 01:47:16

@Tony 

Hello, I tested a bit further and only the wifi connectivity LED turns off. The LED only goes off for a very short time and I hadn't noticed it yet. Changing it to other outlets doesn't work either. As I said, it worked before they upgraded the modem/router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 522

Replies: 2