WPA vs WPA2

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

WPA vs WPA2

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
WPA vs WPA2
WPA vs WPA2
2021-02-15 03:04:12
Model: AC50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Of course the drop down list doesn't have the model of my extender. It's an AC1200/RE305.

Yes, yet another reason I've ordered 2 extenders from a different mfr. I've been fighting with

weird issues that I've never had with extenders before. At first during setup I would copy and

paste the long, secure password, then when I was trying to connect to the wifi I would copy

and paste again, and it would say it was the wrong password. I could connect via network

drop and SEE the password in the TPlink app, but when I copied and pasted from the same

text I used to set it, it wouldn't work. Somehow that problem resolved itself since I didn't change

the way I was doing anything, only to have another weird issue arise. When I try to connect to the

2.4, it says it's unable to connect, to move closer even though the extender is literally right by where I'm sitting. 

When I try to connect to the 5ghz, I'm able to log in (even though I did have the initial weird password

issue), but the connection shows WPA/weak security even though the config shows WPA/WPA2
security.  As I said before, I've never had this issue with any extender before, and I've been using

extenders for many years, even helped multiple friends, family, and even co-workers set up extenders. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:WPA vs WPA2
2021-02-17 22:13:09

@jkhiwtfrtytyp 

RE305 is listed as a model, what you did is you typed RE, if you would have typed the 3 you would see the model:

Copying and pasting a long password is not recommend as characters can be added be it a space giving an incorrect password error. Modify the password with one that you are able to remember and test that to see if the same issue still exists.

If the extender is using the same name of the router, modify that to be different so if you are close to the extender you know you are trying to connect to that device and not going to the router which is further away.

If you get a weak security message and on an iOS device that may be due to the recent update where any device using WPA2 TKIP will give that warning. You could try modifying your router settings so that it is using WPA2 PSK AES, then default the extender and set it up again to see if that helps.

Options
Re:WPA vs WPA2
2021-03-02 22:05:57
@jkhiwtfrtytyp Tony makes a lot of sense in what he says; I would follow his advice. Personally, I would reset the extenders and reconfigure each one. When reconfiguring, I would only have one live at a time (ie. once one is configured, disconnect it and leave it disconnected). This avoids you configuring them in daisy chain; always configure the extender to the router, not each other. This is the best way to get oneMesh working properly. Avoid using WPA as it is deprecated and not secure any more. Use a password manager such as Bitwarden to manage your passwords. Eight character passwords can be broken in three hours with today's computing power.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 662

Replies: 2

Related Articles