Router Wfi vs extender Wifi networks when in Wi-Fi Clone - are there two networks or just one?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Router Wfi vs extender Wifi networks when in Wi-Fi Clone - are there two networks or just one?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-29 20:09:54
Model: TL-WPA8630 KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Newbie question: Does Wi-Fi Clone convert two networks onto one?

If I add the 8630 kit to my network (router with wifi connected devices in other room), what is the difference and/or additivity to the Wifi signal strength from the router and from the 8630 wifi extender?  That is, I add the adaptor and 8630 and then Wi-Fi Clone so that my router network name & password and the adaptor-8630 network name & password are the same. Do the connected devices see the wifi signal strength from the router increased by the addition of the extender signal strength?  Or do the wifi signals compete and/or interfere with each other? Or do the devices simply "pick" the stronger signal?

For example, router has 100mps download speed from ISP.  The download speeds seen by Wifi connected devices in other rooms (2G and 5G) are ~ 20 - 40 mps.  The extender is then plugged in to the same circuit-breaker circuit as the devices while the router and adaptor are on an adjacent circuit-breaker circuit - but all on the same household circuit & breaker box. What will the devices see now regarding download speed?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Router Wfi vs extender Wifi networks when in Wi-Fi Clone - are there two networks or just one?
2021-04-04 13:59:07

@Writhdar There are a lot of "it depends" in your question, unfortunately. Wifi extenders can interfere with the main router if they are on the same channel. They should be set to another channel but not all are able to do so. As for the two networks vs just one, from any given computer on the network it is supposed to appear as one network when connecting via the extender. Extenders are really best when there is almost no coverage in the second area away from the main router. Like in an enormous 6,000 sq foot home or out in a disconnected garage or workshop. Then they work well because you don't have to worry about interference. They work really poorly when used two rooms over from the main router because someone is stressing over wifi benchmarking speed dropping from 60mb to 40mb. In those cases, use cabled networking in the second room or relocate the router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 557

Replies: 1