two times RE305 - one in EXT mode, other in AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-03 12:10:53
Model: RE305  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: V3.0

Hi, 

Two questions: 

Successfully I connected two RE305's to my Arris Router (Ziggo) which is located in the living room. 

The first RE305 is connected by using WPS option, logged in with Tether app and changed the SSID by removing the _EXT extension into the original Ziggo1234567 SSID of the main Wifi network. Works fine in Extender Mode. This one is for using Wifi on the first floor. 

The second RE305, I connected, after succesful link using WPS option. Then login with Tether app and changed working mode into Access Point.  

Relocating, and connecting wired to LAN successfully. Also changed the SSID into the original Ziggo1234567 SSID of the main Ziggo network from the Arris Router. This one is for using Wifi in my home office. 

All seems to works fine, as one Wifi network. Even printing to my HP network printer, by using the "office" Wifi connection of the RE305 in AP mode, seems to work. 

But now, I sometimes have very limited access to both my RE305's when logging in with Tether app. Logging in goes well, but hen I go to "Tools" for instance, I cannot change the SSID or working mode at one time. A few moments later, logging in at the Extender mode enabled RE305, I can access the configuration again. Why is this ? 

Is my above configuration something you would advise or is it better to have three network SSID's like:

- main network Ziggo1234567 (in the living room)

- Extender: Ziggo1234567_EXT (on the first floor)

- Access Point: Ziggo1234567_AP (in the office)

Would network printing, as above described, still work, or is my HP network printer not visible at any Wifi network through the RE305 with other SSID than the original, provided by the main network ? 

Thank you.  

Options
2 Reply
Re:two times RE305 - one in EXT mode, other in AP mode
2021-05-12 21:56:06

@bolletjenomat 

Regarding logging in, I'm wondering if the names being the same may be causing an issue. 

I would likely go with the network names being unique in that it avoids any confusion and prevents devices from connecting to another node it should not be. Even though the network names would be different they are all still a part of the same network so everything would be visible that is connected to it.

Options
Re:two times RE305 - one in EXT mode, other in AP mode
2021-05-21 16:10:15 - last edited 2021-05-21 16:16:16

@Tony 

thank you. 

I renamed the SSID from both devices as suggested. 

and I can access them. so that is good.

But now, printing when connected to the AP mode enabled device is not possbile. so that's a pity. 

The network printer is connected to the main WIFI device, not one of the extenders,

The extender (with different SSID)  seems not to re-route the printing order from my device (laptop) to the network printer. 

so I have to bring my laptop within range of the main WIFI (with original SSID) and connect, and then start printing. 

is there any way of renaming the device itself using the tether app? 

now I can see two RE305 and I have to guess which one is which (EXT or AP)

thank you

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 392

Replies: 2