EAP225-Outdoor Setup Help

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-15 22:03:05
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a three pack of the Deco M5 set up in my house - works great.

Bought the Netgear PowerLine 1000 and connected it to one of the Decos. In my garage, I plugged in the second PowerLine, and connected it to the LAN connection on the PoE adapter. Then connected the EAP to the POE connection on the adapter.

I set up the 2G and 5G SSIDs so that they are named mynetwork-2G and mynetwork-5G. When I try to connect my iPhone to mynetwork-5G, it tries a couple of times to connect and then reverts back to my Deco mynetwork network.

First question: Did I connect everything correctly? I can run the locate option and the LED on the EAP blinks, so I think I did.

Second question: Is it possible to name the 5G SSID on the EAP the same as my Deco network (so it would be mynetwork in this example) so that I have seamless wifi on the same network name inside and outside of my home? Or did I buy the wrong product(s) for that?

Options
1 Reply
Re:EAP225-Outdoor Setup Help
2021-05-18 21:29:25

@Prof_HA 

It sounds like you wired everything correctly. As far as your phone I would forget the Deco network so it won't jump to another network to see if there is an internet connection coming from the EAP unit or try another wireless device.

As far as naming the network units the same, you will end up with a single wireless network, but it will not be a true mesh. That would not mean it is wrong, it is just knowing how your network will then operate.

So having two APs named the same will then have the decision fall on the client device you are using to determine which node to connect to. Some devices move to the other signal if the current one reaches a low signal threshold or until it disappears altogether. In a mesh network, the actual network nodes will recommend which to connect to.

If you start to notice that your signal is very weak when being next to the EAP, then the device you are using probably is still connected to one of the Deco nodes. Turning off and turning back on the Wi-Fi usually gets it to connect to the closest node.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 406

Replies: 1