Upgrading a TL-WPA4220 v1 to latest firmware is problematic

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-27 14:41:43
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: TL-WPA4220(US)_V1_180509_Beta

I have 3 TL-WPA4220 v1 units.  All purchased around 2016.  I just upgraded one of them to the latest firmware available from the TPLINK web site.  Now I can no longer access it from my iMac via tplinkplclogin.net.  The other two non-upgraded units can still be accessed that way (but only after they are reset to default state).  Can anyone confirm a similar experience?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Upgrading a TL-WPA4220 v1 to latest firmware is problematic
2021-07-16 18:15:48

I too am having issues updating my TL-WPA4220kit V1

I can successfully log into the device at wifi: TP-LINK_A7663C and it does function.  However if I attempt to manage the device via http://tplinkplclogin.net/ it responds with "Trying to Configure the Powerline Extender?"  This page tells me to log into the TP-LINK_A7663C instead of going direct.  But I AM connected through the TP-LINK_A7663C path and not directly through the router.  As a result I can't make any changes to it, update it or anything else.  I've reset it etc with no effect.

I also attempted to use the tpPLC utility.  It find the devices ok and reports versions etc.  However if I try to perform a firmware update it asks for NVM & PIB files and not the BIN file available through the support download page.  Where would I get NVM & PIB files?

What am I missing here?  Seems more like noone tried their util before providing it.  OR they failed to provide correct instructions.

Anyone else run into this?

Options
Re:Upgrading a TL-WPA4220 v1 to latest firmware is problematic - update
2021-07-16 18:59:28

@RK53 

I was able to find and successfully update using the NVM and PIB files located in this update: TL-WPA4220_V1_160421.  (not obvious on website).  The indicated speed did go from 500 to 600 as the description says.  However I still can't get into it using http://tplinkplclogin.net/.  I still get the complaint: "

Trying to Configure the Powerline Extender?

It looks like you may have run into an issue"

And yes, I am logged into the "TP-LINK_A7663C" network.   It would be nice if it actually indicated what the "issue" was!  

Any ideas?

Options
2021-07-16 19:37:26

@RK53 You are not missing anything.  Tplink has basically punted regarding MacOS support for v1 devices.  But were you trying from a Mac or PC?  The tpPLC utility will find the device, but only allows upgrade to the NVM and PIB files; that is of little use, and does not solve the critical problem of managing the SSID's of the devices.  If you have a Mac running an older version of MacOS, the Wireless Scan utility captured the IP address of the WPA4220 and launched a browser pointed at that IP address.

That allowed management of the device.  But the Wireless Scan utility no longer works with newer versions of MacOS.  Thev1 versions of the device have some sort of black magic algorithm for selecting an IP address (they do not issue DHCP requests); I have not uncovered a technique to find their IP address.  If I ping the broadcast IP address (for example 192.168.101.255), the WPA4220 does not respond.  And browsing to tplinkplclogin.net works on a defaulted device, but seems to stop working at some point, for no obvious reason.  The most amazing fact:  none of the tplink customer support engineers understand that this problem exists.  I just get a constant stream of obfuscation to support requests.

Options
2021-07-16 23:10:27

@guyinsb1 

It seems I find these sorts of problems more and more.  No one finishes or adaquately tests their software.  They write it, ship it, get paid and gone.  Often no one knows how it works so no one can fix it without reverse engineering it - which they don't want to pay for. (i maybe a little spoiled. In my former life I wrote cockpit software.  No slacking in the testing there. i know that's a little bit of an extreem case.  But it made me write better and test more.)

I just had another example of this yesterday trying to buy a security camera system. it was from an email they sent me.   I clicked on it, addied it to the cart and tried to pay.  FAIL!!  There is a bug in their website that won't allow me to complete the purchase. 2 days with tech support and another with their "level 2" OOOoooh support.  They had no idea what to do.  And get this, you can't buy their products any other way.  There is NO sales dept !   And support can't do it for you!  Unreal.  So I bought from another manufacturer. Smooth saling.

Anyway I use PCs pretty much exclusively.  It looks like the same issues exist there as well.   And yes, I couldn't crack the IP address thing either.  They're playing some clever games which is why I think it's not getting fixed. Much easier to ignore.

I worked around the issue for now and got done what I was trying to do.

Thanks for your response.

Options
2021-07-17 15:41:32

@guyinsb1 I found a way to discover the IP address of a WPA4220 v1 device.  Create a small network consisting of a TL-WPA4220, a TL-PA4010, and a router:

iMac  --(wifi)-- WPA4220  <--->  TL-PA4010  <--->  router  ---->  internet

First run the "IP Scanner" app on the iMac; the WPA4220 most likely will not show up.

But then run tpPLC on the iMac; that should find and display both the WPA4220 and PA4010 devices.

Now look at the IP Scanner display again; you should see an entry "unidentified device"  with an IP address.

Now use the IP address to login with a browser.

Options
2021-07-17 17:35:26

@guyinsb1 

Wow. Very clever.  I remember seeing an "unidentified device" but I never explored it.

I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1336

Replies: 6

Related Articles