Help desk tech that I think went way to far

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-13 16:46:11

I could not get it to work even with the help desk assistance. They told me it was not compatible with Spectrum's router but to be frank, the tech also said a lot of other things that made me distrust him.

The chat people online put me in touch with tech support quickly, and a very polite man with a very heavy accent called me right away.  After he had me reset the extender and it would not pair with my Spectrum provided wireless router through the phone app.  He then had me try to log into the router through my computer and the computer software stopped us.  He got mad and asked me to download and load a program on my compute so he could go into the Admin account and make changes to my computer and I only operate as a guest on the computer so that wasn't possible.  

At  that point it felt like his tone changed and I began to wonder if he had malicious intents.   I told him that we have lots of things connected to the Spectrum router internet, from TVs, Games, other computes, smart phones and security cameras, and never has any required me to give someone else control over the Admin account on my computer.  

At that  point he told me he needed the access because he could tell my ISP was visible to the world and that I needed to let him fix it right away, or in no time at all my computer would become "overwhelmed with viruses".  He went on and on and what he said was scary but I was also afraid of him because he was being so demanding, and lots of what he was telling me about the urgency of why I had to give him access didn't make sense.  When I told him I was going to send the extender back he got even more angry and ordered me not to hang up or my computer would be corrupted.  By the time I hung up on him he was just being abusive and we weren't' getting anywhere.  My computer wasn't broken before I spoke to him and I didn't know why he'd be offering to fix things that have nothing to do with the extender.  He'd already told me my Spectrum Wireless router won't work with the extender.

I'm an old person, and admit computer stuff doesn't always make sense to me.  I admitted that to him early on and probably shouldn't have but my course voice probably gave my age away anyway.  It's been a few days since, and my computer still works, so nothing really bad happened, but I don't know if that would be true if I'd given him Admin access and let him load stuff on my computer to fix my IP problem.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 139

Replies: 0

Related Articles