Extend wifi into garage

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Extend wifi into garage

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Extend wifi into garage
Extend wifi into garage
2022-08-24 12:49:33
Model: RE220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a 2G/5G wifi router from my cable company located in my home office. The wifi works fine in the house. But in the garage the signal is very weak. It's maybe 50ft away but it's through about 4 different walls including a steel door. 

The TP Link AC750 wifi extender that I just purchased doesnt really solve the problem. It works. The lights are all green and I see the wifi signal in my list of available networks on my phone. But it doesn't increase the download speeds. I just tested my speeds with an app on my phone and switching between being connected to the extender and to the router. Here's what I have:

1. Standing next to my wifi router connected to the router's 5G: 350 mbps

2. Standing in the house next to the garage door connected to the router's 5G: 151 mbps

3. Standing inside the garage next to the extender connected to the router's 5G: 100 mbps

4. Inside the garage next to the extender and connected to the EXTENDER'S 5G: 84 mbps

So inside the garage, which is what this is about, the extender provides slower download speeds than the router does.

If I move the extender into the house and put it next to the garage door, I get:

1. Inside the house with the extender in the house connected to the extender's 5G I get 81 mbps

2. In the garage with the extender in the house connected to the extender's 5G I get 77 mbps

I am better off without the extender.

Is there a trick to getting better performance through the extender? Or is there a different device that would get me faster wifi speeds in my garage? It would be possible, but not easy, to run an ethernet cable from the router into the basement, across the basement ceiling and into the garage. But once the ethernet cable is in the garage what would I connect it to? It wont connect to my phone or to my laptop.

Thanks for any help.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Extend wifi into garage
2022-08-26 00:04:40

@Schreibdave,

So the problem is that you are trying to send a signal into your garage to your wireless extender. Unfortunately, it is fire code to have a thicker wall separating the garage from the rest of the house. This only further amplifies the problem that you are experiencing. 

You should have a better connection when connecting to the 2.4Ghz band as the lower bandwidth allows the signal to travel better through objects and over longer distances.

The best solution would be to run an ethernet wire into your garage. The AC750, when not used in a OneMesh Configuration, can use an Ethernet cord to create a wired access point for your devices. It is expected to have slowed speeds when using a range extender as this is simply a byproduct of the technology. 

Personal Story: I have Zigbee Smart Devices in my garage(which uses a variation of 2.4 GHz wifi) and I had to strategically place signal repeaters so that the repeaters would have a line of sight through the garage door rather than the wall; this was the only way I could find a stable connection using low power wifi signals.  - You may be able to find a stronger signal by simply moving the range extender to a different location in the garage. To get a wifi connection into my garage, we use a mesh-based network to extend the coverage, with minimal connectivity issues while using devices in the front driveway.

Options
Re:Extend wifi into garage
2022-08-26 02:03:01
Thanks. I will try: 1. 2G. 2. a different outlet in the garage 3. Connecting an ethernet cable to the extender. If those things don't work I guess the next step will be a powerline adapter. I already have one feeding a smart TV in the house I guess I can add one to the garage. If I do use a powerline adapter in the garage is there a way for that adapter to connect to a second router to feed a wifi signal to the garage? Thank you
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 670

Replies: 2

Related Articles