Parental controls need a default setting for all devices, then a whitelist for parents' devices.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Parental controls need a default setting for all devices, then a whitelist for parents' devices.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-21 14:31:56
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20191026 rel.16299(5553)

The parental controls are backwards of what families need these days.  It's challenging and time-consuming to create profiles for every device from which a child might try to access adult content.  They have desktops, laptops, school Chromebooks, phones, Xbox, Switch, Playstation, smart TVs, Oculus VR...  The list goes on.

Even after you manage to get all of those devices into a profile (or multiple profiles, since routers like AX21 have a very small device limit per profile), there are other devices laying around that you may have forgotten about.  An internet-capable Nintendo DS, an old phone in a drawer, an unused laptop, or even a NAS.

We need to be able to set a parental control level for ALL devices.  This default setting would apply to any new devices that join the network too.  Then, if there are one or two devices from which the parents want to be able to access adult content, add them to a whitelist that overrides the default.

I've had to abandon TP-Link because of this and am now looking for alternatives like Gryphon.  In the meantime, I set up AdGuard Home with adult content filters, but I don't want to maintain it indefinitely.  And it would be nice to use the TP-Link devices I already bought (2 routers and 3 extenders).

Cheers.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Parental controls need a default setting for all devices, then a whitelist for parents' devices.
2022-09-22 16:58:25

Hey  @Additionally,

Thanks for the feedback, this is a really good idea! I have already passed the idea onto our team.

Meanwhile, one thing that could potentially make this process easier, is just to create a profile that disables the internet at certain times, and just add any of your kids other devices that he doesn't use all the time to that profile, so that individual content settings do not be changed for certain situations.

Options
Re:Parental controls need a default setting for all devices, then a whitelist for parents' devices.
2022-11-04 17:27:20
Excellent idea
MCH
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 502

Replies: 2