extender uses different password to router and router won't accept wifi password

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

extender uses different password to router and router won't accept wifi password

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-21 15:44:05
Model: RE300  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi I recently bought an RE300 extender that supposedly is part of the mesh network. It connects to my wifi but does not use the same password. My wifi password was set up by my wifi company, but the extender uses the password 'testtest'. this means its constantly logging me out of my network as i walk around my home and making me type in a different password depending on where I am.

I also for some reason can not connect my router to the tether app. it says the password is wrong, ive tried 'admin', 'testtest', the number written on the bottom of the router, and my wifi password and it doesn't recognise any of them and has locked me out from any further attempts.

Should I reset the router and try again? Will it automatically know the wifi company I am using? Not a very tech savvy person so apologies for using the wrong words!

Thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:extender uses different password to router and router won't accept wifi password
2022-11-21 18:09:06

@Scorsby,

Unfortunately, the Tether App is only made to work with TP-Link devices. If your router is not a TP-Link router, you will have to use the app provided by your ISP or routers manufacturer. If you have a TP-Link router and it has locked you out, a reset may be the best option to bring your network back to its original state, you will just have to reconfigure your networks name and password

The tether app is meant to connect your Range Extender and help you set up that device. Once connected to the extender, not the router, you should be able to change the Wi-fi settings including your password. 

Options
Re:extender uses different password to router and router won't accept wifi password
2022-11-22 13:01:10

@Riley_S  Hi Riley, the router is also tp- link, I think an archer? (not home at the mo due to the wifi issues!) So you think the best bet is to reset the router and start again? Will my wifi details remain the same if I do so? - what does this mean "you will just have to reconfigure your networks name and password"

Thank you!

Options
2022-11-22 19:16:40

@Scorsby,

If it is a TP-Link Archer Router, you can check for mesh compatibility here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/onemesh/product-list/

If you are locked out of the router, a reset is the way forward. If you still have the option to login, you may be able to see a reset password option.

I would recommend setting up the Archer Router with your TP-Link ID so that it can easily be managed from the tether app from outside your network, and then you will login to your router using your TP-Link ID.

Any type of reset to your router will reset the configured settings back to the default login that is listed on the bottom of the router, this will require you to set up the password and name of the network to either a new name or to be the same as the previous setup. If you choose the same network name and password, it is not uncommon to have most of your devices reconnect to the network.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 491

Replies: 3