What exactly am I looking for?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-16 23:08:17
Model: TP-Link Routers  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: AC750 WiFi Travel router

Good afternoon.

I apologize if this seems dense. I am technologically inept, I will admit.

My family and I are usually on the road for business. However right now, we are taking a winter vacation until March. We have been invited to put WiFi in so my kids and I can continue going to school and my husband and I can work. Unfortunately, in order to put any sort of service out here on the top of the mountain, I would be responsible for paying for thousands of dollars of installation. It would also be me giving the okay to tear up this beautiful land and make a negative impact up here. I don't have thousands of dollars sitting here, and as you can probably gather, I really don't want to be responsible for four miles of ground being disturbed and damaged. 

This cabin also doesn't have phone lines or jacks in here anymore as the landlord is always making renovations and didn't put all that back before we moved in. Great cell service out here, surprisingly. 

I looked into travel routers, and bought the AC 750 WiFi nano travel router since I was under the ignorant impression that it was a magical box that already had WiFi. I see how dumb this was now, but this is all confusing for me. I'm really not that ignorant. 

I don't know what I am doing here or what gadgets that I am looking for. I just need to have something that my kids and I can connect to in order to connect to our online schools. My phone hotspot is only so fast for so long before I run out. 

What am I looking for here? I can see WiFi networks in the town below me and have been told that if we can reach, I can use some of them.  What device do I need to reach these networks from here? 

Do I need another router or modem to plug the AC 750? 

OR

Or is there possibly a device or service that will connect multiple devices to the internet, even specifically tablets that aren't purchased with data without being connected to an actual WiFi company?

Again, I apologize if this all sounds dense. We are a bit behind on technology and a lot of that is because we lived in the mountains for years, some of this stuff either isn't available or none of us have heard of it. Possibly both? 

Any information that will point me to the right direction as quickly as possible would be great.

I apologize for the rambling and thank you for your time and patience.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 142

Replies: 0

Related Articles