Votes

add an IOT ssid

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

add an IOT ssid

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
add an IOT ssid
add an IOT ssid
2023-01-08 00:25:15 - last edited 2023-01-26 00:35:10
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20220113 Rel. 42007

Add a 3rd IOT SSID imilar to the Guest SSID, (which i currently use for my IOT devices)
By adding a 3rd SSID for IOT.
the benefit would be:
   Continue to segregate main computers that have sensitive information from 3rd party nodes (iot and guests),
   as guests come and go, the guest password can be rotated more often, 
   IOT devices would not need to be re-set up with changed password (which could also be made more secure, as it would NOT need to be verbally shared with guests.

I note that the current guest ssid allows nodes to connect to other guest nodes,   This is useful as some of my IOT devices (e.g. speaker pairs) need to connect to each other.
some other older guest ssid implementations only allowed egress, which was more secure, but had the issue noted above (sometime it was too  secure).  So the IOT network should continue to allow within iot connections, but prevent access to the main network.

Thank-you for your consideration

GT

Options
3 Reply
Re:add an IOT ssid
2023-01-10 00:49:07

@gtb;

I actually have some good news for you right off the bat. The addition of an IoT network is something that has been long requested on the community and the development team looked into the feature for future releases. It appears as though most, if not all new routers from Deco and Archer will have a designated IoT network that can be enabled. For the Deco XE200 this can be configured with a variety of wireless frequencies to support your needs. There is also a beta firmware available for the Archer AX55 that enables this very functionality, presumably so that the developers can test the performance of the IoT network on older devices.

There is an option to split the networks and prevent devices from seeing each other, however the issue that is now arising is that almost every device wants to talk with each other, no matter the type. In the case of Kasa and Tapo, preventing the devices from accessing the main network would mean that your devices would have to always receive a command through the internet. If the devices on the guest network can see the devices on the main network, your Kasa/Tapo app would be able to locally communicate with the device and send a simple command over your local network.

Options
2023-01-14 03:36:35 - last edited 2023-01-14 03:41:04

Can you confirmif the S4's are part of "most new routers"?  and more directly is there a timeline for this to be available on the S4's,

i see that on the S4s i can create 2 ssid's, which is how i have it set up now, but it means my guests are on the same network as my IOT devices, and that's a simpler password for the guests to use.   sounds like 3 ssids with 3 different passwords is in the works, great news.

thanks
GT​​​​​​​

Options
2023-01-16 18:59:38 - last edited 2023-01-16 19:00:14

@gtb,

We have no information on what routers and when/if a specific models will receive a specific feature through a firmware update. Currently, the IoT network is being rolled out as standard on the routers that we are currently putting out for release. It looks as though IoT networks may be coming to older devices but there can be absolutely no guarantee of it. Don't forget that all the deco nodes are meant to work together, so even if the S4 were to not receive the update, an IoT network could still be supported by upgrading the main node of your network.

I will make sure to try and keep everyone updated if I see other Decos receiving the feature, or beta firmware become available.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 891

Replies: 3

Voters 1