Powerline to Ethernet switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-04 14:39:17

I just recently purchased a powerline av2000. My current Wi-Fi set up go as follows. 
ISP Modem connected to NETGEAR nighthawk mesh Wi-Fi. Ethernet from router to a NETGEAR Ethernet switch that is connected to two satellites for backhaul. I currently get 500 down and 25 up thru Wi-Fi. My question is if I add a powerline, should I connect the switch to one adapter or connect the mesh to the powerline the powerline to switch? Hope this makes sense. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Powerline to Ethernet switch
2023-03-07 00:29:43

@jaleman.ht,

If I am reading this correctly, either way will work and will simply change how your network traffic is "funneled" up the chain to the main node.

If you add the powerline adapters to a switch, you will be sharing the same ethernet cable on the way back to the router. 

Something to keep in mind, is that you probably do not want your entire network dependent on the Powerline connection as it is subject to more interference than traditional cabling. If something were to happen to the powerline network you want to ensure that your network is still connected to the internet and that the main node has an active connection, this way only the powerline connections will fail, and the network can easily recover and reestablish the powerline backhaul.

Options
2023-03-09 01:16:40

@Riley_S thanks so much for the advice. So I was able to set up my adapters and here is the configuration. Modem connected to NETGEAR Mesh wifi. NETGEAR is then connected to the power line and power line connecting to NETGEAR switch. My issue now is from the power line adapter that is paired and connected to my Xbox doesn't get anywhere near my download speeds. I get 500 mbps thru wifi. 500mbps hard wired from my switch. But get only 50-75 out of the power line adapter. Any suggestions? 

Options
2023-04-16 09:09:28

downlink a wan from your VPN router to your 2nd router may it be a router like Netgear Nighthawk then trunk it to the power line there you will get the full speed unless you have modified the bandwidth in the router.

Options