MyQ garage door opener will not connect through RE315

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-05 01:28:46
Model: RE315  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.10 Build 220531 Rel.63006n (8583)

My Liftmaster Security Plus 2.0 MyQ garage door opener will not connect through my TP-Link RE315 range extender. I got new TP Link Archer AX73 router and RE315 range extender to improve signal in this detached shop/garage area. I have a Chamberlain MyQ opener in the attached garage of the house, and it connected easily through the main router and works fine.  

The Liftmaster was installed new in late 2021.  It was previously connected to an access point and operated fine but with weak signal.  After upgrading to router and access point, I can remove the range extender, connect the opener through the main router Archer AX73 and it operates, but the signal is very weak and it periodically goes offline.  When I the plug the range extender back in, the opener will not switch over and run through it with the better signal.  It goes offline if I try to force it onto the range extender 2.4G band. The signal is very strong, and I am certain I am using correct SSID and password.

Router and range extender are normally set up as OneMesh with wifi SSID’s and passwords the same.  I have tried the tricks on the internet support sites including shutting off wifi assist on my iphone XR, shutting off one mesh, separating 2.4G and 5G bands with different SSID’s, shutting off 5G bands, shutting off all SSID broadcasts except for the range extender 2.4G, shutting off smart connect.  I have not tried any port authentication like #8883 mentioned in one troubleshooting article that may be related to the RE315, as I have not seen specific instructions/settings for my router.

I would sure appreciate any help.  I like my TP-link system as designed and installed but need this opener to connect to the range extender, preferably in onemesh mode.

Options
14 Reply
Re:MyQ garage door opener will not connect through RE315
2023-03-05 01:34:59

@Nstanton62 

I tried to include links to some of the references but it was disallowed Trying again:

1c196c0f9fa74c31ab4dac50991239e8

Options
2023-03-07 01:23:48

@Nstanton62,

If you know that it is a 2.4Ghz only device, the first thing I would attempt is to look at the high speed mode settings on your RE315. This setting manages the connection between your router and the RE. Try only broadcasting the 2.4Ghz band and seeing if you are able to connect the RE to the main router using the 5Ghz band.

The initial changeover may also have issues if the IP address is conflicting with the IP set when connected to the Router, you may try setting an IP reservation on the router to solve this behavior. 

If there is an option in the myQ app to reconfigure the wireless connection you may want to try this, as it would help clear any previous conflicting settings.

Are you able to connect another device to the RE to determine if it is able to connect to the internet? 

Options
2023-03-07 17:46:42

@Riley_S thank you for the comment.  Yes this is 2.4G only device.  I had tried what you said - disabling and/or not broadcasting all but the RE315 2.4G band.  The muQ device saw it, my iphone was on it when installing the device, and it still would not connect.  I also did a factory reset on the myQ device to completely uninstall it, then reinstalled from scratch.  It still would not connect through the RE315.  I unplugged the RE315, installed it through the AX73 with a very weak signal, then repowered the RE315.  It would not switchover to the RE315 like other devices.  My iphone connects seamlessly to the RE315 and it has good signal and internet.  I do have a ticket now with TPLink support and am communicating, but hoping the forum community might have others withsimilar problem that found a solution. 

Options
2023-03-07 18:05:42 - last edited 2023-03-07 18:07:05

@Nstanton62,

Hmmmm. I wonder if the security/encryption method of the RE is different than the routers. I know that the MyQ devices can be very finicky when it comes to wifi connections, as I have had my own difficulties with the myQ hub. The only thing that I can find mentioning router compatibility is here. You may want to double check and confirm that the network settings for both the network and the RE are compatible with the things listed on their site. And they also give these requirements in the user guides:  

Options
2023-03-07 19:22:07

@Riley_S Very helpful info thanks. I had seens those steps before but not in the concise list form.

• 2.4G is enabled
  • 802.11 b/g/n is enabled as far as I can tell.  In Smart Connect mode you cannot specify and I believe b/g/n/ax is enabled by default.  I had tried taking it out of smart connect to ensure it's on the 2.4G band but did not change to b/g/n only
  • DHCP is enabled thought I did put the RE315 as static IP so I have a consistent IP from my desktop for admin
  • security is WPA2-PSK
  • Not sure about port 8883.  I saw that in other discussions and on Chamberlain website when troubleshooting.  I'm fairly tech savy but have not been able to confirm the port is open.  What's confusing is it connects easily to the AX73 main router but will not to the RE315 under any circumstances I tried. My other myQ opener also is connected to the main router (better signal) with no problem. If a port problem wouldn't that be on the main router?
  • No MAC address filtering in place.

I did read something that indicated the RE operates in proxy mode which changes the MAC address to the main router.  Again I'm no expert but that sounded suspicious in that myQ may be looking for the original MAC address in it's database?  https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/927/ 

Best,

NStanton

Options
2023-03-07 19:30:45

@Riley_S BTW when going through the myQ device setup through the RE315, I get solid blue followed by no light, which myQ says is  the opener was unable to connect to your home Wi-Fi network.

Options
2023-03-08 17:49:15

@Nstanton62,

Actually, most REs operate in Proxy Mode due to how compatible the mode is supposed to be with devices, but some smart devices still have problems depending on how they were developed.

Something to note, as you may have set it up this way when you had it connected to the router. Any type of static IP, reservation, or whitelist/blacklist setting will only work if you use the Virtual MAC address assigned by the Range Extender. (It should be the same second half of the MAC address, with a different first half). The real MAC address will not ever be seen by the main router, so any settings must use the MAC address that this given to the router from the RE. You may have accidentally set this when attempting to open the port.

This would also apply to the RE, so make sure that the correct MAC has been configured for the RE; there may be two, one for each band.

Options
2023-03-08 20:26:33

@Riley_S The only IP I made static was the RE315 so I didn't have to hunt for the current IP when wanting to connect for admin from the desktop, if that makes sense.  I have since changed it back to dynamic so evertything is basically default as it would be set up automatically in OneMesh mode.

I never got far with manually opening ports.  I tried a quick change following something I saw on another post, then tried a "test my port" website, but it never showed open.  I would have to learn more about specifically how to open ports on my new equipment here.I do understand how the proxy retains the last half of the OE MAC address, but I never did antyhing on filtering or white/blacklisting other than look at it.  I just wondered if the myQ "portal" in the cloud? looks for the native MAC address of the opener, which is associated with the serial number that you also must enter, in order to authenticate.

Options
2023-03-08 21:51:52

@Nstanton62,

Theres only some cases where opening ports is necessary, usually your router will take care of it for you.

But I would double-check the light you are seeing, according to these docs, a solid blue light indicates an issue with your myQ device connecting to your phone. I would assume a flashing light, indicating the network failure, would be more pronounced, or occur more than once?

If it is a solid blue light, I would maybe try forgetting your home network and connecting only to the RE during the setup, and making sure that any settings for VPNs and Private Addressing is disabled.

There are also guides that mention that the device may need to be deleted from the myQ app before trying to set the device up on the same account. You may be correct that it needs to be deleted and then setup with a factory reset, I just am not familiar with their systems and what is available.

Options
2023-03-09 02:33:29

@Riley_S That myQ chart is deceiving.  Read further on the solid blue light and it says "When there is a solid blue LED light on the Wi-Fi garage door opener, the opener was unable to connect to your home Wi-Fi network."  It does suggest checks on phone settings, which I did, but it's definitely the step where it uses the phone app to connect to the network.  It gets all the way to showing what networks are available, mine is there, I input password and click to connect, then it spins for a while, comes back saying it can't connect and the solid blue light goes out. Definitely solid blue though - I stared at it about 50 times! angry 

I did forget the home network and reset factory defaults on the opener which completely removed it from the myQ app.  I then restarted from scratch like when I first got the opener a year ago.  Dame issue not connecting.

I agree on the port opening - that seems a little deep for what I want and should have to do.  All VPN and private setting are default as automatically configured when I started up the router and RE new.    

Again, the puzzling thing is everything works great as intended except trying to connect it to that darn range extender. Works fine connecting to the main router AX73, just a very weak signal due to distance and obstructions, which is why I got the RE.  Also does fine with the TL-WA801ND I've now set up an access point outside of one mesh a little closer for a better signal but still weak.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 1502

Replies: 14