Introducing TP-Link Community Tech Talks

2023-03-08 23:48:10 - last edited 2023-03-09 00:23:06

17bbaff434be4dd2be10ccba270d9cb0

Building off what our teams started with our recent AMA, our Product Team is committed to closely working with our community members to get a better understanding of how everyone is adopting the newest technologies, what you would like to see in future product lines and to encourage discussion on soon-to-release or recently released technologies such as Matter or Wi-Fi 7.

What Topics Are Planned and Can I Suggest A Topic for Future Talks?

The topics of the first discussions have been planned by our product team, however, we will also be including topics submitted by the community as well. Some of the planned topics revolve around the newest protocols and technologies, but we also have plans for large-form discussions to gather your feedback regarding your experience with TP-Link products, services, and integrations.

What Makes Tech Talks Different?

These threads are extremely important to our team and as a result, and it may take longer to respond to your post than normal. We encourage users to continue the discussion among themselves while our team investigates and reaches out to other departments to ensure a detailed and complete response. For this reason, we intend to leave these discussions open for a period of a few weeks.

Why Are There Questions if it's an Open Discussion?

While we would like each thread to be considered an open forum for discussions and not just a Q&A, each post may include a set of questions from our engineering and product development teams, often to gauge your interest in particular aspects of a technology or to guide the conversation toward the feedback that the teams are currently in need of.

If you would like to suggest a topic, please feel free to do so in the comments below:

Options
4 Reply
Re:Introducing TP-Link Community Tech Talks
2023-08-11 17:21:55

@Riley_S why does my model number not show up  and hwo do I link i tto my account

Options
2023-08-14 18:25:25

@Dinawieland0309,

Your device will be automatically linked to your account when you set up your device using your TP-Link ID.

If you are using the Tether App, then you will be asked to log in and bind the router to your ID during setup.

If you used the WebUI for setup, you might have been able to skip the step, however, you may still link your router after the fact by finding the TP-Link ID menu that is often in the upper right of the web UI.

As for the model not showing up, models have to be individually added by our team, and its possible that yours is not on the list yet. What model were you not able to find?

Options
2023-09-16 05:40:43

@Riley_S How often are these Tech Talks held?

I am interested in understanding the roadmap/lifecycle of routers. For example is it a natural progression from X50 to the X55 to the Dec X60 for newer or more features?
And what is the lifecycle or how long after Deco XYZ is released will it stop receiving firmware updates etc?

Options
2023-09-18 18:55:30

Hey @bartipoo,

Thanks for the Interest! We are looking to hold another soon - However, these are often topical-based discussions and may not revolve around router releases. I would expect that we will plan for a networking tech talk on this exact topic after a few more Wi-Fi 7 routers and extenders are released - this way, we can clear the air on the differences between Wi-Fi versions and model types - while giving real-world examples of the differences.

Keep an eye out as we will also be releasing content over the coming months to help make understanding Deco and Rotuer differences all the easier.

---

As for your question: Yes, these are somewhat in order, but they are primarily the same and offer similar features. The X50 and X55 often receive their firmware at the same time, with the X60 models receiving it just slightly later. Last week, the X50 and X55 were actually the first models to begin seeing the latest features from the coming firmware updates.

There are slight differences in the models, such as their number of internal antennae.

I would highly recommend checking out the compare page for the models you listed : https://www.tp-link.com/us/compare/?typeId=5757&productIds=65209%2C59340%2C70872

For Firmware Updates, we really cannot provide a rule of thumb anymore, as some of our oldest models have been recently updated to support the latest features. Normally, you should expect to see updates for a year or two after release, if security issues or patches need to be released, they will often be for a longer period. However, you can largely expect feature rollouts to slow down updates and move towards security-focused patches.

Since the update cycles can be unpredictable, please always make an effort to purchase a model that already has the features you are looking for, as we cannot guarantee that a feature will be released for it. I would also recommend making an effort to purchase the latest version, which can be found on the label for brick-and-mortar stores, or make sure that you are buying from a reputable dealer, such as Amazon or Best Buy.

Options

Information

Helpful: 6

Views: 1757

Replies: 4