Duplicate IP error

Duplicate IP error

Duplicate IP error
Duplicate IP error
2023-03-20 15:23:29
Model: RE105  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.12 Build 221109

So...I have relatively plain vanilla home network. I have a temp sensor that is too far from the router to keep a reliable connection. I purchased a RE105 repeater a couple of years ago. I set it up as a repeater using the default settings. It worked without a problem up until a few days ago. On 3/18, I received an email from the monitoring service that the sensor was offline. 

As a first step, I power cycled the repeater, but it didn't restore the connector. I could connect my laptop to the repeater, but it didn't see the internet and the 'signal' LED wasn't lit. I then performed a hard reset. I set the repeater up using the same parameters as originally done. 

Since I did that, when I connect my laptop to my router, I get a duplicate IP error and cannot connect to the internet. I can connected to the '_EXT' network on the repeater without a problem, but when I connect to the router, I get no internet. In addition, the entire network is unstable. Just for fun, I updated to the latest firmware, but nothing changed.

Is this a hardware failure? Is there anything I can do to verify or fix this?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Duplicate IP error
2023-03-20 22:15:12

@mrschwarz,

I would honestly start with resetting the repeater and then trying to configure the device using a different method than previously, whether it be WPS or Manually. 

Make sure that you have not set IP reservations for both the device and the RE. If something changed at a network level a static IP or reservation would cause issues.

If the duplicate IP only occurs on the Laptop, you may try forgetting the previous network to see if it is trying to connect using old credentials. Finally, after connecting the RE to your network, try disabling the DHCP server manually, rather than setting it to Auto. If the RE disconnected from your network, it may have restarted its own DHCP server and started to assign its own IPs to devices.

Out of curiosity, are you able to see either the connected devices or the RE from your router's configuration interface.

Options
2023-03-24 00:01:36
Thanks for your response. WPS isn't an option for me so there is only one way to configure. I actually did a hard reset and connected it to another network. Then I rest it again and reconnected it to my network. At that point, it started working properly. There are no IP reservations that would affect this. I tried disabling the DHCP server instead of Auto, but it made no difference. When it failed, neither the extender nor the laptop was visible on the router. It's working now, so I am going to leave it alone.
Options
2023-03-24 16:36:12

@mrschwarz,

Glad you were able to get it working. There shouldn't be too much to fear about the future use of the RE, Range Extenders are known to sometimes fail their setup or communicate the wrong credentials to the router. It is quite often that an RE does not get set up properly on the first attempt and requires another attempt.

Usually, when this happens, it can be traced to the MAC address of the devices connected to the RE not translating correctly or te MAC addresses all being the same, while still having separate IPs

Options
2023-05-04 12:52:11 - last edited 2023-05-04 12:54:12

mrschwarz wrote

So...I have relatively plain vanilla home network. I have a temp sensor that is too far from the router to keep a reliable connection. I purchased a RE105 repeater a couple of years ago. I set it up as a repeater using the default settings. It worked without a problem up until a few days ago. On 3/18, I received an email from the monitoring service that the sensor was offline. 

As a first step, I power cycled the repeater, but it didn't restore the connector. I could connect my laptop to the repeater, but it didn't see the internet and the 'signal' LED wasn't lit. I then performed a hard reset. I set the repeater up using the same parameters as originally done. 

Since I did that, when I connect my laptop to my router, I get a duplicate IP error and cannot connect to the internet. I can connected to the '_EXT' network on the repeater without a problem, but when I connect to the router, I get no internet. In addition, the entire network is unstable. Just for fun, I updated to the latest firmware, but nothing changed.

Is this a hardware failure? Is there anything I can do to verify or fix this?

Try resetting both the router and the repeater to their default settings and then setting them up again from scratch. Make sure that you are setting up the repeater as a repeater and not as an access point, as this could cause issues with IP address conflicts. 
Regards: Pintdd

Options
2023-09-29 14:12:04

@ClaytonBodhi 

I have had the same problem.  Regrettably, to solve it, I have had to use Power Line adapters.  I am not happy with these either as they have often been unstable in the past.  

You say that "Make sure that you are setting up the repeater as a repeater and not as an access point, as this could cause issues with IP address conflicts."  

What must be done to make sure this requirement is respected?  

Options
2023-10-07 04:13:35

@mrschwarz 

Just bought one and experienced same error, even manually configured  a static ip address for my computer, it still popped up with same error "duplicate ip". Tried to reset the repeater a couple of times but the issue still happened after. I did test by  changing one setting by turning off DHCP on the repeater after I connect it as an extender to my house's wifi and looked like the issue has not happened again (so far 3 hours since I changed it). Will watch it to see if it actually fixes the problem. If some ones have tried the same and still experienced the same issue, please let me know. Thanks.

Options
2023-11-18 13:36:01

@mrschwarz So...Just to update. This has happened so many times, that I have tossed the device in the trash. It's has caused all kinds of issues repetitively on my networks and requires constant babysittings and resets to keep it working. In my use case, I only needed it for a single device, so I took an old router, created a new wifi network and configured it as a repeater. Since the sensor is on it's own network and the router is only a repeater, I have had weeks of peace without any network interference. The sensor reports dutifully too.

My advice is to stay away from this device. It's not worth the trouble, at least in my case.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1240

Replies: 8