How do I know if a device is using the range extender?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-21 18:06:59 - last edited 2023-04-18 15:25:55
Model: RE105  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My home WiFi is "HomeWiFi". The RE105 created an additional network called, "HomeWiFi_EXT". In the Tether app, I can see a particular device I added specifically to HomeWiFi_EXT. I can also see my phone which is using the this network as well. Does the Tether app only show devices connected to the HomeWiFi_EXT network? Or does it also show devices conected to HomeWiFi via the RE105?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How do I know if a device is using the range extender?-Solution
2023-03-22 16:43:04 - last edited 2023-04-18 15:25:55

@MountainDougie,

As an RE, the app will only show the devices that are downstream from the Range Extender, meaning any devices that are connecting to the network through the RE. 

For your information, you can change the name of the network on the RE to match the settings of your main network, allowing your devices to more efficiently roam between network nodes. This will not change the behavior of the client list in the tether app, but may allow your existing devices to connect to the RE if they are close enough.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:How do I know if a device is using the range extender?-Solution
2023-03-22 16:43:04 - last edited 2023-04-18 15:25:55

@MountainDougie,

As an RE, the app will only show the devices that are downstream from the Range Extender, meaning any devices that are connecting to the network through the RE. 

For your information, you can change the name of the network on the RE to match the settings of your main network, allowing your devices to more efficiently roam between network nodes. This will not change the behavior of the client list in the tether app, but may allow your existing devices to connect to the RE if they are close enough.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:How do I know if a device is using the range extender?
2023-04-18 15:23:48 - last edited 2023-04-18 15:25:48

Riley_S nailed it, but I think it's worth pointing out to those that do not know... I use my Eero app to manage devices on my network, particularly kids that have limited screen-time. I didn't notice at first that kids blocked on the Eero app were seamlessly accessing the internet because their devices jumped onto the range extender's network.

Ideally, I'd like to block everything EXCEPT one or two IoT devices and force everyone else onto the Eero. I know I could change the network name on the RE105, but for reasons too long to explain, I can't because of one problematic device. Oh well, I'm satisfied with this product. It does what it should.

Options
2023-04-18 16:21:36

@MountainDougie,

The WebUI for the REs do provide both Whitelist and Blacklist options so you can definitely create a whitelist for only the IoT devices, this would prevent any devices not on the list from connecting via the RE and will have to use the main network for its network connection. You may even try configuring this without changing the SSID to see if the phone connects with no internet, or just simply cannot connect via the RE

Options
2023-04-18 16:37:19
Great info. Thanks for being super-helpful and quick to respond! I will try this when I get home. Last night I noticed that, during my scheduled internet shutdown, the kids kept right on playing, ha!
Options