Smart Cleaning does not continue where it stopped before re-charging

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-30 20:51:42 - last edited 2023-03-30 22:14:38
Model: Tapo RV10Lite  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6 Build 230321 Rel 170921

It ran for an hour on smart cleaning right after I got it before it needed a charge. It had covered ~60m2 at the time and failed to return to the charging station, so I stopped it and moved it there. After recharging the robot started from zero instead of going back to where it stopped before it ran out of battery. Is that expected? 

Mike Technology enthusiast. Geek
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Smart Cleaning does not continue where it stopped before re-charging-Solution
2023-03-30 21:16:18 - last edited 2023-03-30 22:14:38

Hey @mkostersitz,

The pathing and navigation of the vacuum are dependent on the robot's knowledge of where its dock is located. This means that the Recharge-and-Resume Function will only work if the vacuum successfully navigates to the docking station on its own. If the vacuum gets stuck, picked up, kicked, or interrupted, the map will be reset, and the vacuum will start again.

The vacuum will automatically head back to the charging dock when the battery is low, but there should be plenty of charge left for it to get back to the dock as long as it doesn't encounter any obstacles or is moved.

We do recommend that you completely charge the vacuum before sending the vacuum out for the first few times to ensure that the battery is functioning to its maximum capacity and that it can complete its cleaning cycle.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Smart Cleaning does not continue where it stopped before re-charging-Solution
2023-03-30 21:16:18 - last edited 2023-03-30 22:14:38

Hey @mkostersitz,

The pathing and navigation of the vacuum are dependent on the robot's knowledge of where its dock is located. This means that the Recharge-and-Resume Function will only work if the vacuum successfully navigates to the docking station on its own. If the vacuum gets stuck, picked up, kicked, or interrupted, the map will be reset, and the vacuum will start again.

The vacuum will automatically head back to the charging dock when the battery is low, but there should be plenty of charge left for it to get back to the dock as long as it doesn't encounter any obstacles or is moved.

We do recommend that you completely charge the vacuum before sending the vacuum out for the first few times to ensure that the battery is functioning to its maximum capacity and that it can complete its cleaning cycle.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Smart Cleaning does not continue where it stopped before re-charging
2023-03-30 22:14:33

@Riley_S Thanks Riley, that makes sense, I am letting it find the way back to the charging station right now. I am surprised though that it never takes the shortest path back and instead traces the outline of the area it has so far discovered and then eventually gets back to the station.

I also have a 3 year old Roomba and it is much more efficient in routing so far.

Mike Technology enthusiast. Geek
Options
Re:Smart Cleaning does not continue where it stopped before re-charging
2023-03-31 16:51:26

@mkostersitz,

I believe that our team has tested a few different methods of having the vacuum return, however, when the testing team was describing why it paths the outside of the room, it makes a lot more sense. While the vacuums could take a direct line, the accuracy was far lower, especially if it ran into an object or got nudged.

The vacuum will circle the room back towards the dock; this will help ensure that the vacuum can always maintain its sense of direction and find the dock. The other advantage to this is that when the vacuum is circling, it will have additional opportunities to detect the signal from the dock that will help guide it back into place rather than attempting to retrace its steps. Do you have any other feedback on the recharge and resume that I can pass to our teams? such as if it is causing problems or you would much rather prefer a direct path?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 356

Replies: 3

Related Articles