Throughput is Not Symmetrical

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-17 00:18:24 - last edited 2023-04-18 15:32:47
Tags: #Asymmetrical Speed
Model: TL-PA9020P KIT  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0

I have 2 x TP-Link AV2000 V4.8 2-port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Adapters.

ALl of the time my throughput between all Adapters is yellow (>50 Mbps), except FROM the Fam_Room to the Kitchen (<50 Mbps, actually the speed is always given as 11 Mbps):

42ea34e83e1c4ef7810eaee00c05081c

vs:

f14e55085fad4111b534d399124beb09

There are no electric motors, etc. near the Fam_Room nor near the Kitchen Adapters.

Please help me increase the speed from the Fam_Room to the Kitchen.

TIA,

--Kpatchery

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Throughput is Not Symmetrical -Solution
2023-04-18 15:32:23 - last edited 2023-04-18 15:32:47

@Riley_S 

Thanks for your standard debugging suggestions. I had hoped that my answer did more than hint at the debugging which I had previously attempted.

You did not mention swapping the two adapters, to see if it might be a hardware (or other) issue that afflicts with one of the adapters, or just a partial flakiness with the hardware arrangement..

I just swapped the two Powerline Adapters, and now instead of 11/180 Mbps between the Fam_Room and the Kitchen, I am getting approximately 180/180 Mbps in both directions. 

I am now doing a more detailed speed debug on the two Adapters, but it looks like I have solved most of my asymmetric speed problem.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Throughput is Not Symmetrical
2023-04-17 20:02:20

@Kpatchery,

Powerline adapters are super finicky, and it may not even be a device with interference causing the slowdown.

I would first check to make sure that the plug that you are sending data to in the kitchen, is on the same circuit as your other adapters. A degradation such as this could be caused by the signal having to travel to the breaker, where the bandwidth is nuked due to noise filtering, and then back to the adapter in the kitchen.

It could even be something as simple as a bad connection on the outlet, a degraded run of wire, or power lines could be bundled together causing excessive interference.

Try changing the outlet you are using in the kitchen, or even try moving the device outside of the kitchen to see if the behavior follows the device.

Options
Re:Throughput is Not Symmetrical -Solution
2023-04-18 15:32:23 - last edited 2023-04-18 15:32:47

@Riley_S 

Thanks for your standard debugging suggestions. I had hoped that my answer did more than hint at the debugging which I had previously attempted.

You did not mention swapping the two adapters, to see if it might be a hardware (or other) issue that afflicts with one of the adapters, or just a partial flakiness with the hardware arrangement..

I just swapped the two Powerline Adapters, and now instead of 11/180 Mbps between the Fam_Room and the Kitchen, I am getting approximately 180/180 Mbps in both directions. 

I am now doing a more detailed speed debug on the two Adapters, but it looks like I have solved most of my asymmetric speed problem.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 334

Replies: 2

Tags

Asymmetrical Speed