WiFi Bridge To Powerline

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

WiFi Bridge To Powerline

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
WiFi Bridge To Powerline
WiFi Bridge To Powerline
2023-05-14 00:46:11

Hi, Does TP-Link have a WiFi Bridge like the Bros Trend AC1200 WiFi to Ethernet Adapter which will create a wired Ethernet connection from a WiFi network signal? If so, can the Ethernet connection be used to create a Powerline network by connection the output of the WiFi Bridge to the input of the Powerline adapter (e.g., TL-WPA4220 Kit)? Better yet, can a WIFi bridge create a Powerline network directly (i.e., plug it into the deisire power outlet, confogure it to received the desired WiFi signal, and use Powerline adapters to access the Powerline network created by the bridge)? TIA-fred

Options
4 Reply
Re:WiFi Bridge To Powerline
2023-05-15 22:29:39 - last edited 2023-05-15 22:29:55

@laybergerF,

I believe that you are looking for a Range Extender to wirelessly extend the connection from a router and potentially provide ethernet ports for wired connections.

For Powerline - This is a whole different set of technology and would require additional hardware.

An added powerline adapter can take a wired connection and communicate the signal between nodes using your power lines. While a Powerline Adapter can be used when connected to an RE, I have a feeling that the performance would be severely lacking, at least compared to your normal network. The RE will automatically halve your overall bandwidth due to the nature of an RE, and the powerline will decrease the connection further due to the interference and frequencies used.

If you want to use a powerline connection, you may look at routers that are meant to also communicate over Powerline. Previously the Deco P9 for HomePlugAV2, and now the Deco PX50 for the new G.Hn Powerline Protocol.(Not Cross Compatible)

Depending on your configuration and housing, you may be better situated to look into slowly upgrading your system to a mesh network so that you can experience the increased coverage and performance without suffering from the performance loss that comes with both Powerline and Range Extenders. 

Options
2023-05-19 16:52:50
Thank you for the response. No, don't think that I'm looking for a range extender. What I'm looking for is a way to created a Powerline network directly from a WiFi signal. We have an RV and multiple devices that require a wired ethernet connection. When I have access to a wired ethernet connection to a router I can provide it as the Ethernet/Internet source for a TP-Link Powerline. I then use TP-Link Powerline adapters on the other power outlets to hook-up the devices requiring wired Ethernet. So, what I would like to be able to do is receive a WiFi signal (e.g, from a public WiFi host) and use it's Ethernet output as the source for the TP-Link Powerline in lieu of a wired Ethernet connection to the router.
Options
2023-05-19 17:32:04

@laybergerF,

So to take it step by step - To extend a wireless network, you would need to look at hardware that is capable of extending a wireless network and providing an ethernet connection - This is limited to Range Extenders, and APs using WDS bridging to connect to other APs, and Hotspot/WISP Modes on Some Travel Routers.

For Powerline, the devices operate more so as an AP, than it does a Router. This means that while it can match the SSID of the network and extend it, it requires the unit to have a hardwired connection to the router or network.

From talking with my team, if you want your own private wireless network the best solution for your case would be one of the travel routers that supports WISP Mode. This will take the wireless network, and create your own private network. Most often, this feature is used to create a private network for hotel WI-Fis. You would then be able to use the ethernet ports on the travel router to your powerline network. You may be able to find other routers with the functionality, but travel routers are most common. You can find the available modes for routers on the specifications sheet.

If you are not looking to manage/create your own private wireless network and don't mind using the RV Park's Wi-Fi , an RE will still provide the simplest setup.

Options
2023-05-19 17:38:21

@laybergerF Thank you! The information that you've provided sounds like just what I need. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 474

Replies: 4

Related Articles