My TP Link Extender RE450 no longer maintains a connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-14 13:11:54
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

About a month ago this extender stopped working reliably. It constantly disconnects from my wifi. I did not have any changes to my home wifi.

I followed instructions to reset the device, nothing changed.

I tried to update firmware, however the instructions indicate I will see an Upgrade firmware option in the Tether iPhone App - I do not, when I got to system in the app all that I see is an option to Manage password.

This device is now worse than useless, if I have it on devices in my home will connect to it and will be without internet access as this thing is not connecting to the wifi.

Can someone please advise me on what I can do (and provide instructions that work) to resolve this or do I need to toss this thing into the trash?

Options
3 Reply
Re:My TP Link Extender RE450 no longer maintains a connection
2023-05-15 22:43:08

@Snerd,

Sorry to hear you're having so many troubles.

REs are infamous for having problems during setup, so you may try to set up the device using a different method than when you first tried, such as WPS, Tether, or through the WebUI?

There should be additional settings available so I would recommend doing a factory reset when setting it up again. I would also recommend directly connecting to the RE and using the web interface to configure the RE to extend your existing network - this way you can be sure that the RE has received the correct credentials.

What router are you trying to connect the RE to? If it is a TP-Link Router, you may try to configure the RE as a OneMesh Extender.

Lastly, I would recommend trying to move the RE closer to the router while troubleshooting so that you can be assured that it is well within the range of both bands.

Options
2023-05-15 23:38:47

@Riley_S I have the app for Tether and have been using it to try to get this to work.

I have moved the device to within inches of my router. I have also reset the device to factory settings. Nothing works. I am able to make the thing go through set up and for moments (less than a minute) it works but then disconnects...and continously does so.

If my device needs a firmware update how am I able to do that, since in the tether app, as I described in my initial post, I see no options other than to manage passwords?

When you say connect directly to the RE do you mean through an ethernet cable or via wireless. I have been doing all of this via wireless with my device (Lap top or phone) connected directly to the thing. I have had this extender for over 2 years and have had the exact same wifi router the entire time, it is NOT a TP router, however, as I've said, this worked well for a couple of years and now is totally useless.

Options
2023-05-16 00:30:59

@Snerd,

By Direct I mean to connect to the WebUI of the Range Extender. This can be done wirelessly, but I recommend using a wired connection to ensure that you are connecting to the right RE and that the connection will be stable for a firmware update. If you look at Method 2 in this FAQ: How to Upgrade the Firmware of a TP-Link Range Extender there is a set of instructions on how to download firmware from the site and update the firmware manually. You should also be able to see the system logs of the Range Extender, which will be able to provide us a much better idea of what the cause may be.

Since you can see the RE in your list of connected devices, you may try setting an IP reservation for the device to see if this will prevent the disconnects from occurring. I would also recommend looking at the high speed mode setting to see if this setting is causing side effects due to the connection quality. Lastly, do you have any other REs connected to your network? If so, you may try disconnecting them to see if the behavior stops.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 475

Replies: 3