Disappointed with speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Disappointed with speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Disappointed with speed
Disappointed with speed
2023-05-23 02:03:04
Model: TL-PA9020P KIT  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

Newb here, first time user with a need for speed.

I set up my kit and everything is working, but the speed to my TV is disappointing, so I'm trying to figure out what's going on. I contacted customer service via phone support and they were surprisingly clueless and offered no help or explanations.

After reading through some of the threads here, I downloaded the utility to check my speed to the powerline adapters. After monitoring the utility for a few hours the speed to the remote adapter ranged from 190mbps to 300mbps, but seems to mostly be around 200mbps, which is fine by me.

The remote adapter is plugged into it's own outlet and there are no other devices located there. The nearest device is the TV, so I'm using a 10 foot ethernet cable to connect the powerline adapter to the TV. The ethernet cable is plugged into a gigabit TV port on the TV that is more than capable of handling 200-300mbps, but according to speed tests, the TV is only getting 70-80mbps.

If the powerline adapter is getting 200-300mbps, and is plugged to TV via etehrnet cable, why is the speed to the TV so low?

I don't understand. Thanks for your help.

File:
TL-PA9020P.JPGDownload
Options
5 Reply
Re:Disappointed with speed
2023-05-24 16:12:27

@musicmafia,

So the speed listed in the utility is the link rate between clients, not the bandwidth that can be used between adapters. Essentially, the speeds you are seeing listed in the utility do not include sources of interference on your power lines.  This FAQ may do a better job of explaining the difference:

Explanation about the Powerline Rate and Actual speed of the Powerline Adapters

Powerline always has the potential to have significant drops in the actual bandwidth due to how the technology works. The best solution is to try moving your adapters/appliances around so that the circuit that the Powerline network is running on has as little interference as possible. The connection quality will depend on your entire circuit, rather than just the nearby outlet

You can find more devices that can cause Can Appliances Affect the Performance of a Powerline Network? powerline interference in this FAQ: Can Appliances Affect the Performance of a Powerline Network?

Options
2023-05-25 01:13:21

@Riley_S 

Based on the explanation, I should expect to get about a third of what is coming from my modem. I have the 2 gb adapters, 600 mbps from the modem and 200 mbps to the remote adapter, which is about a third. So far, so good, I would be happy with the 200mbps BUT it's only passing 70mbps to my TV.

As far as interference, the only electrical devices in this entire room are a cable box and a TV. The adapter is plugged into it's own outlet, nothing close by and I'm running the ethernet cable 10 feet to the TV. 

My speed is 600mbps (modem>ethernet>PC>speed test 600mbps)

My speed to TV is modem>adapter>circuit>adapter (200mbps) to TV speed test 70mbps.

Very disappointing that the remote adapter gets 200mbps and only send 70mbps to TV.

Options
2023-05-25 16:22:11

@musicmafia,

Unfortunately, bandwidth loss is unavoidable with Powerline adapters from any manufacturer, as the cause of the slowdown is the HomePlugAV2 protocol which has a large amount of redundant information passed through the network. It is important to consider that powerline, just like Wi-Fi, will have significant drops in total throughput based on real-world limiting factors and the necessary traffic added to the data with instructions on where to send the traffic to.

It should be expected that the receiving powerline adapter will only be able to use up to 40% of the bandwidth listed in the utility.

Options
2023-05-25 18:36:01

Disappointing. Reality definitely doesn't match with your marketing for these products. From a 600mbps signal, the adapters are only delivering 70mbps, which is not 40%, it's 11%.

I was hoping to hear from other users. Is 11% normal? That's what people should expect with this product?

Options
2023-10-20 07:15:14 - last edited 2023-10-20 07:28:05

I think the issue is that you just don't understand the limitations of the technology regardless of the product.. You can always try pure Wi-Fi mesh. Even Wi-Fi numbers for different protocols are based on theatrical 10000% perfect scenarios because they can't put a different number for 1000 different situations. It could also be an issue with the chip & NIC on the TV itself (they have a computer onboard processing the data, if you didn't realize); it might not even be the powerline unit that's diminishing Mbps. You won't know unless you try a different TV to prove it or not. 

For example, my TV is an old dumb TV from 10 years ago and I use a newer version of the Google Chromecast and it gets 800Mbps. 

Here's another example: I'm running my powerlines on two different circuits, from one room to another with a wall in-between and I get 438Mbps. It's an old multi-unit building where my bedroom with the main pc is actually on the Kitchen's circuit (I found this out when I was mining with my PC hah; popped the breaker). While my modem+router are in the living room on their own circuit. Some people might get even less than this. Some might be limited by many other things in the way. It just depends. 

Comcast cable > SB8200 modem > ASUS router 1 > Powerline 1 > Powerline 2 > ASUS router 2 > Main PC

9ae074c7bf2944ac82e19e92d56f60b5

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 503

Replies: 5