Votes

Use 6Ghz for AP only (not Backhaul) option for wired connections

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-11 16:37:59
Tags: #Deco
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0

Currently the only options for 6Ghz are: 

1. Dedicated Backhaul

2. WiFi Network & Backhaul

My request is to add a 3rd option: 

3. WiFi Network

the reason I want this is all my XE75 Pros are hardwired using CAT7 to a 2.5G switch. There’s no need to be wasting the 6Ghz band to act as a backhaul and I would like to merge the 6Ghz and 5Ghz bands into the same SSIDs 

Currently I have to have two different SSIDs. One for 5Ghz and one for 6Ghz. My suspicion is that this requirement is caused by the backhaul. I would like to be able to have a single SSID for both 5 and 6 GHz. 

I have other (non deco) WiFi APs around my house in 2.4Ghz only mode acting as an IOT network on a separate VLAN for security, as such I also have 2.4Ghz disabled in Deco as I have no need for it either. 

In essence, I am requesting the ability to not waste the 6Ghz band for backhaul use as everything is hardwired anyway, and also I’d like to use the same SSID for 6 and 5 ghz. Both of which are not options presently. 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Use 6Ghz for AP only (not Backhaul) option for wired connections
2023-08-06 01:35:03

@BenMitchell 

I want this feature too. But it appears due to security restraints this isn't possible. The 6GHz band uses WPA3 for authentication, the 2.4/5GHz bands use WPA2. So apparently due to this we can't use the same SSID.

I wish the 6GHz band could have some sort of compatibility mode and use both WPA2 + WPA3 so that we could have the same SSID.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 237

Replies: 1

Voters 1

Tags

Deco