VPN disconnects when the computer is connected to AV1300

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-19 10:48:58
Model: TL-WPA8631P KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Dear community,

for my work I use to connect to the company network through VPN using Cisco AnyConnect.

If I connect the computer with the Ethernet cable directly to the mode/router or through the wifi network, the VPN connection works fine.

On the other hand, if I connect the computer to the Ethernet network through the AV1300 (TL-WPA8531P KIT), the VPN connection becomes high unstable (mostly unusable).

From the behaviour of the VPN client it looks that the connection is somehow not continuous: every few minutes it looks as the link has a glitch (no idea if it is a physical or a logical one). Also, the connection icon on the Windows taskbar turns into "unsecure internet connection".

When the VPN client is disabled, i.e. using the public internet, the connection is just fine.

Does anyone ever experiences anything similar?

Do you have any advice to fix/work-around this issue?

Thanks a lot in advance for any helpful hint I could get.

Best regards,

stefanot

Options
1 Reply
Re:VPN disconnects when the computer is connected to AV1300
2023-06-21 21:51:30

@stefanot,

I would be inclined to first believe that this may be a result of the quality of your Powerline connection. Homeplug Powerline is always finicky and is far more susceptible to interference from appliances and power fluctuations.

Due to the additional hop they must complete, VPN Connections often have "higher" requirements to maintain an active connection. For example, if your PC needs to send data to maintain the connection every 30 seconds, one blip in the powerline network could cause the drop if it happens at the wrong time. With a normal connection, your PC will simply resend the request a few times over and doesn't rely on the server having an active connection through the VPN to send the request.

If your Powerline network is crossing circuits or is running a long way, you may see these types of behaviors. I would recommend, if you can, moving all the adapters and PC to the room with your router to see if the behavior persists when the adapters are located in the same room/circuit.

You may also be able to access the system logs of your Powerline connectors through the WebUi while using the VPN, this may give a better indicator of whether it is being caused by the physical link or as a result of the software/routing.

Options