TP Link Range extender kills the internet in the rest of the network
TP Link Range extender kills the internet in the rest of the network
2023-07-11 10:39:37 - last edited 2023-07-11 10:47:29
Tags: #Problem
Model: TL-WA850RE  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: TL-WA850RE(EU)_V7_1.0.12 Build 221109

Hello,

I have a TL-WA850RE v7 wifi extender and when I connect it to my main router (ASUS RT-AC1200), from that moment - if any device tries to register into the network through the main router, it does not have the internet access. The devices accessing the network through the extender work fine.

Initial situation

The main router is running a DHCP server and is responsible for assigning the IP adresses into the home network 192.168.1.X. It is also responsible for the wireless access to the home network througth the SSID called let's say HomeNetwork. There is also one other gateway in the house - the cable modem from the internet provider connected to the main router by the (main router's) WAN socket. The cable modem is running on a different network (192.168.0.x), has the wifi off and is connected to the main router by wire. So the main router has the IP address 192.168.0.10 given by the cable modem on the WAN interface and 192.168.1.1 in the home network. This setup has been running well for years. I just had a very weak signal of the HomeNetwork on the terrace, so wanted to boost it by a range extender.

Range extender installation

I have installed the range extender very easily, set-up a new SSID called HomeNetwork_EXT, left the extender it in the default (range extender) mode and turned the "DHCP Server" option to off (is Auto by default, so just to be sure). The extender connects easily to the main router, it even gets an IP address 192.168.1.200 from the main router (I guess just because of the config interface, otherwise the extender does not need the IP address). I connected the mobile phone from the terrace through the HomeNetwork_EXT and it worked well. I have turned on my laptop a couple of hours later inside the house, it tried to connect to the HomeNetwork, but it said "no internet". I have checked, but the phone connected to the HomeNetwork_EXT had the internet connection. The internet was working. This is where the problems started. I started testing the behaviour in different situations to pinpoint the cause. 

Tests

Test 1 - HomeNetwork_EXT always works

If I connect a new device to the network through HomeNetwork_EXT, the connected device works well - it can connect to the internet, sees the devices in the network etc. All good.

Test 2 - Turning off the extender immediately solves the problem

If I turn on my laptop and try to connect it to the HomeNetwork while the extender is on, the laptop says "no internet". The command ipconfig shows the laptop has the IP address assigned by the main router, but I cannot ping the main router (weirdly - like one out of 10 packages pings correctly, the others are lost immediately to "general error". not even a timeout). If I turn off the extender, the problem immediately disappears and the connection through HomeNetwork works perfectly again. ==> so I thought "hmm, it is somehow jamming HomeNetwork".

Test 3 - Wired devices connected to main router have the same issue

To confirm, I have tested this also with the wired devices. The extender is on. If the Smart TV had been turned on before the extender was turned on, it works well. However, if I make it get the new IP address from the main routers' DHCP server, it gets the new IP address, says all is fine, but Youtube/Netflix does not work because it just has no internet connection. If I turn the extender off, again, magically, the internet on the Smart TV starts working.

I have checked the logs in the main router, but there is no error logged, as if all was perfect.

I am running out of ideas what the cause could be. Anyone any thought?

Thank you very much

Options
13 Reply
Re:TP Link Range extender kills the internet in the rest of the network
2023-07-12 22:57:06

@buxter,

Almost always, this means that some part of the extender did not communicate correctly with the router during its initial configuration.

It is worth mentioning that the Range Extender does need an IP address from the main router to receive and forward the wireless connection and the DHCP toggle that you found is stated to only hand out IP addresses from its server when the DHCP server of the main router is disabled.

What is the strength of the signal, by the way? If a few packets are making it through, its possible that your RE is at the limit of the router's range. While this should only affect the RE's network, it is possible that it is the cause of the the initial setup not completing correctly.

In the web interface for your Range Extender, do you see any errors such as a Dynamic IP Failure? I have a feeling that the reason your devices are able to reconnect relatively quickly when turning off the extender is that the disappearance of the Wi-Fi makes the devices refresh their IPs with the main router. Also, it would be far more likely for errors to appear here, rather than the router logs, so take a look at they system logs here too.

You may try setting a static route for a device on the main network to see if this will allow the connection to pass while the RE is connected to the network; however, the best solution is to reset the extender and reconfigure the extender to your network.

Options
2023-07-13 10:10:14

Hello  @Riley_S , thank you for your answer.

Riley_S wrote

What is the strength of the signal, by the way? If a few packets are making it through, its possible that your RE is at the limit of the router's range. While this should only affect the RE's network, it is possible that it is the cause of the the initial setup not completing correctly. 

The strength of the signal is perfect - 3 blue LEDs on the RE. If I connect to the RE network (HomeNetwork_EXT), I can ping everything without a packet loss, the internet is fast and stable ==> the HomeNetwork_EXT is working well. The problem is only if I connect to the original HomeNetwork provided by the main router. Also here the signal strength is full, I have never had any packet loss in the HomeNetwork. Just when the RE is on. The packet loss in that case is almost 99% (yesterday 100%). But not by the usual timeout. Ping 192.168.1.1 -t says something like "General error" and doesn't even wait for the timeout of the packet. I don't think the signal strength is the problem.

In the web interface for your Range Extender, do you see any errors such as a Dynamic IP Failure?

I didn't notice there was any error log in the range extender interface. I will check when I get home again, if there is anything.

I have a feeling that the reason your devices are able to reconnect relatively quickly when turning off the extender is that the disappearance of the Wi-Fi makes the devices refresh their IPs with the main router. Also, it would be far more likely for errors to appear here, rather than the router logs, so take a look at they system logs here too.

That could be. I have tried yesterday to connect my laptop via wire to the main router. I ran something like ping www.google.com -t and let it run when the RE was on. I have the correct IP assigned by the main router, just nothing gets through. I have noticed the routing table in my laptop ("route print" in windows) is wrong when the RE is on - there is no line routing the traffic to the main router etc. As soon as I unplugged the RE, the ping -t was immediately successfull. And when I checked the routing table in the laptop, it was suddenly correct.

You may try setting a static route for a device on the main network to see if this will allow the connection to pass while the RE is connected to the network; however, the best solution is to reset the extender and reconfigure the extender to your network.

I was thinking to try something with the routing rules, but I am no expert on this. I just knows it exists, I can interpret, what the current routing (dynamic) table says, but never have written any routing rule myself. I could learn it and try it. However, I only have the possibility to write a static route in the main router. Don't know if it's the right place. Nevertheless, its routing rules are not passed to the clients, as I write above. And I cannot write the routing rules in all the client devices in the network. Maybe it would work for the laptop. By there are smart devices etc., where I cannot do anything. And the interface of the RE is very limited. I don't know, how better I should configure this device. When I am connected through the RE, all works well. So it is communicating well to the router. I've had a feeling it is doing "too much" in the network, like getting some communication it should not handle. Or doing something to block the main router. Can you advice me on the static routing? At least where to set it? I assume it would be like "all the traffic (0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0) should go to the gateway 192.168.1.1"

Options
2023-07-23 12:41:37

I have solved the issue: I returned this piece of hardware and bought a repeater from another brand - I have set it up the same way as the TP Link Repeater and it is working perfectly. So the problem really was in the TP Link not communicating correctly with the router. My advice is to buy another brand or at least other model than TL-WA850RE.

Options
2023-11-27 13:45:40

@buxter 

This seems to be very simular to my situation, I have an 854RE extending WiFi from an 850RE in Access point mode, as soon as the 854RE is powered up my network becomes unstable. Affecting Windows connected devices even on my Ethernet.

Tech support suggested secondary DNS values in my C7 Router which seem to fix it for a few days. But the problem is back. A non TP Link device seems an extrem fix but if it works I may have to try it? 

Options
2023-11-28 11:46:37

@buxter 

My WA850RE worked fine for about a month, but nowI have EXACTLY the same problem as buxter describes. Thank you for the fine description, so i know it probably is something gone bad with the RE. This RE was dirt cheap, the cheapest I could find. Should apparently spent a little more on a better one.

Best regards

Options
2024-02-26 08:14:27

Same issue, disable DHCP doesn't work. 

Options
2024-03-17 08:25:57

Hi, I'm having exactly the same issues.  Has any one from TP-Link responded to this?

My returns date is fast approaching so would rather sort this out than send it back and use another brand. 

Options
2024-03-17 13:49:55

It hs been some time since I used the RE, but the reason for the trouble I got probably did not have anything to do with the RE.

My router (that is the gateway in the local net) had an IP of 10.0.0.138 and handed ot dhcp in the range 10.0.0.20 to 10.0.0.200. So the gateway in the net, 10.0.0.138, could be assigned to some local thing in the network. If that happens access to internet wil be lost.

I did the following:

- changed the IP of the router to 10.0.0.1 (this is the gateway for access to internet)

- DHCP pool for the router still at 10.0.0.20 to 10.0.0.200

- Fixed the RE to 10.0.0.2

- Made sure that RE was set to OFF for DHCP.

Since Those changes the RE worked flawlesly. Just to test again i fired up the TP-link RE and connected a cellphone to it. Runs fine. 

Make sure that dhcp on RE is set to OFF. If you must have it on, have different ranges for DHCP on the router and on the RE. If you have more than one range extender, make sure that no pools for DHCP overlab.

Best regards

Options
2024-03-26 16:07:04 - last edited 2024-03-26 16:07:49

@buxter Did this ever get resolved?

I have the exact same issue with an 860RE, even wired clients are losing network as well as anything connected to the main router's SSID, I tried using the same SSID and hiding the broadcast of the main router, worked for a few mins and then had the same issue 

Have done all of the above as well, static IP, no DHCP etc

Options
2024-03-31 08:41:18

@jesperk2 Thanks for the reply, I didn't see this and I ended up taking it back before I got the chance to try your solution.  I got a AC750 instead which was only slightly more expensive and it has been working perfectly ever since without having to make any changes.

Now I know why the 850RE is on sale everywhere lol

Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 4262

Replies: 13

Tags

Problem
Related Articles